Pushing the Limits of GoPro - Where to go from here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krukster86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I started using a GoPro to record my dives back when it was relatively rare, orange filters were custom hacks adapted from professional camera accessories, and a GoPro official "dive housing" was a far off dream. Since then I have progressed to drastically improving my buoyancy, understanding composition, using a pistol grip, to a two handed tray, added SOLA spot and video lights.

I currently am running a Hero 3+ BE with the two handed tray, SOLA 2000 video and GoBe Spotlight. I find myself recording "macro" life with the camera to the best of my ability, and the camera's. Without a viewfinder, composition is based on intuition and experience, and getting close to subjects without going past the minimum focal distance can make or break the video.

After my last dive trip, I am wondering where to go once my GoPro bricks on me.
1. Go with the latest and greatest "black box" GoPro. I know that the current GoPro has better video, has an LCD viewfinder, and in camera image stabilization, so that is a BIG step up from mine.

2. Enter the realm of macro photo/video. I am also wondering if I should look into any macro camera setups that would work with the lights that I have invested into. I am assuming that flash strobes are a must for photo, so I would think a video camera setup capable of macro would be more compatible.

Thoughts, opinions are welcome.

I don't know if this helps you, but I saw some very good video/pics from shipwreck hunters at a conference this winter, and they used GoPros.

Have you considered just adding an LCD Touch BacPac (and extended back door for your housing) so you can see what you're shooting?

I am also using the Hero3+, but the focal length is just too long to get good macro. I think I will try a macro lens (external) on my next trip.

Have you considered just adding an LCD Touch BacPac (and extended back door for your housing) so you can see what you're shooting?

I am also using the Hero3+, but the focal length is just too long to get good macro. I think I will try a macro lens (external) on my next trip.

Yeah I have an extended back door but I use it for a "battery backpack" to get extra juice out of the camera. The battery life on these GoPros is pretty marginal, so the backpack allows me to record video on a two-tank trip without opening the case to swap a battery (and potentially fog up the housing). I know that with a macro diopter on the GoPro, the LCD viewfinder is CRITICAL to ensure that you have the subject in frame and are an appropriate distance away, but figure it would drain the battery more. Unfortunately, they are still pretty pricey (around $90-100).

After some discussion with my wife, she let me know that I am authorized to invest in the latest GoPro once hers (Hero 2) bricks. With the latest Hero5 featuring image stabilization and included LCD screen, that might be the best thing to do. Who knows, the Hero 6 might be around when it is time to upgrade.

Do you have any other cameras at home? (P&S/Mirrorless/DSLR)?

I've been using a few Hero4Blacks over the years, and found a housing for my D7000 for the price of a new GoPro.

While the GoPro can take some fantastic footage, there was a few things I wanted to do that it couldn't do (specifically in the Macro world).

I use SOLA4K's (usually at the 2K setting) so lighting is similar to yours, and looking for a S/F sola for some extra lighting options.

The image out of the D7000 (when I can keep it in focus) is phenomenal (compared to the GoPro).

_R

Do you have any other cameras at home? (P&S/Mirrorless/DSLR)?

I've been using a few Hero4Blacks over the years, and found a housing for my D7000 for the price of a new GoPro.

While the GoPro can take some fantastic footage, there was a few things I wanted to do that it couldn't do (specifically in the Macro world).

Yes I have an old Canon Powershot P/S (might be obsolete at this point) and a Canon Rebel T3i and 6D Mark I. I have been tossing around the idea of taking the T3i underwater, however the housings are extraordinarily expensive. Meikon and Polaroid make budget housings for it, but I have heard much less than glowing reviews. I'd rather not risk taking the 6D underwater as it is my "baby" haha!

Yeah I have an extended back door but I use it for a "battery backpack" to get extra juice out of the camera. The battery life on these GoPros is pretty marginal, so the backpack allows me to record video on a two-tank trip without opening the case to swap a battery (and potentially fog up the housing). I know that with a macro diopter on the GoPro, the LCD viewfinder is CRITICAL to ensure that you have the subject in frame and are an appropriate distance away, but figure it would drain the battery more. Unfortunately, they are still pretty pricey (around $90-100).

After some discussion with my wife, she let me know that I am authorized to invest in the latest GoPro once hers (Hero 2) bricks. With the latest Hero5 featuring image stabilization and included LCD screen, that might be the best thing to do. Who knows, the Hero 6 might be around when it is time to upgrade.

Yeah, my batteries wouldn't make it a full 70-90 min dive in Cozumel, so I had to switch off between shots, which caused me to miss a couple things. But, the fog issue is easily avoided by putting a couple of those paper desiccant inserts in the housing. Just regenerate them with a hair dryer (2 min) or microwave (30 sec) each night.

Image stabilization will be nice, though. When do you plan to accidentally drop your wife's Hero 2? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom