Question about boats at CCV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tridacna

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
This is my 4th trip to CCV. Only this time, I'm leading a group of 18 divers from a shop. How should we optimally arrange things on the boat? One or two DMs? Does CCV provide more than two DMs per group? Any advice appreciated.

We obviously have varied levels of experience and I don't want people with >2Kpsi being forced to surface with airhogs. Second dive is obviously no problem.

This is my 4th trip to CCV. Only this time, I'm leading a group of 18 divers from a shop. How should we optimally arrange things on the boat? One or two DMs? Does CCV provide more than two DMs per group? Any advice appreciated.

We obviously have varied levels of experience and I don't want people with >2Kpsi being forced to surface with airhogs. Second dive is obviously no problem.

Earlier this month I went with a group of 21 of varying skills. One boat, one divemaster. The leader of the group wanted to keep everyone together. There were some instructors and divemasters in the group so they helped those that had issues. It worked out just fine.

Optimally however, I think splitting it up among two boats probably would have been better. When the divemaster pointed out critters there were just too many folks to herd in to see whatever the animal was.

Jim

Remember? That's not how it works at CCV. "Air Hogs" surface when they will, then they can wait in the Sunshine on the boat until everyone with gills surfaces at the suggested max 1:00 BT on dives #1 & #3. Anybody that's been coached, especially by LDS trip leaders, should have no problem getting 1:00 in the shallows of Roatan's South side. Your group might even decide to extend the maximum BT to 1:20 or whatever for these two daily dives. On dives #2 and #4 we regularly do 1:45 BT dives, some 2:00.

Make sure everyone attends the free Buoyancy Clinic and get your LDS DMs and Instructors in teaching mode. If not, get them to the CCV dive shop for a full course. Buoyancy and air consumption are basic building blocks that "air hogs" simply have not yet acquired.

Although you can put all 18 on one CCV boat, no idea why you would do that. Split them by ability, maybe 12 and 6. I have seen dive groups continuously insist on 18+ on the same boat. By day 2 a lot of people bail for the ease of the shore dive. You're soon down to 7 or 12 divers.

On day #1 or when doing Mary's Place or Calvin's, likely everyone that is assigned will be on-board. On day #1, you're not going to want to be there with all of your rubber suited friends flopping around like fish...trying to figure out what they're doing. By day two or so, you can share a boat with 18, but there will still be some fish-a-floppin.

If you want to divide them up or if you decide on 18 aboard...Check with CCV in advance and arrange that. If you plan in advance you can hire another DM, and this is a pure guess, but I'm thinking maybe for $7 a day x 18 persons (a guess) you'll have hired a second DM.

I'd split the group. I know that socially that's a tough one, but these are decisions and special arrangements that should be made while engaged in the booking process itself.

Last edited:
Spoke to Pam-gonna try and hire a 2nd DM. 18 is too many in one group for me.

Reactions: Doc
Spoke to Pam-gonna try and hire a 2nd DM. 18 is too many in one group for me.

Absolutely. The DM's do a fine job, but last time we were there we had a "group" of 14 on our boat and we made 16. The 14 needed a little work on their skills....and all had Go Pro's on "selfie sticks" which essentially doubled the space each of them occupied in the water column. Gringo did all he could and was apologetic, but this is my one and only gripe about CCV.....too....many.....divers....per DM.

$300 for the week. Splitting it up between all divers. Definitely doing it. Thanks for all the help.

Bargain.

Back
Top Bottom