DCS in my OW checkout dives.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agreed .. it should have been approached differently. But instructors are faced with a variety of things all the time ... sore jaw (clamping on the mouthpiece), ... sore muscles/pain (pulled muscle, ligament etc), ... headaches ... the list goes on. There has to be a balance here or students would be going to the doctor all the time thinking they are bent when they first start diving. The first symptoms were just being tired and when more symptoms surfaced (sorry) form his second round of diving, treatment was obtained. My only point is that this was an unusual situation and recommending that another instructor be found might be a little extreme. Also, it is interesting to note that he was a lean diver, so there would not big a large adipose nitrogen sink that "could" lead to a PFO issue. So I hope some experts can jump in so he can get back in the water.

Thank you all for your comments. I called Dan and was referred to a Doctor in my area. I will also consult the local chamber doctor. I researched PFO and will mention it to my doctor as well.

Jimmy

Jimmy,

I've been diving for 14 years and have more than a 1000 dives...many of them below 200'. I've had mild symptoms that I've ignored for years...

Short version of the story, I recently got bent in Grand Cayman (type 1 &2). Turns out I have a PFO.
Make sure the Dr. does a "Bubble Study" in conjunction with the Echo. Mine didn't show up on Doppler until they injected the bubbles. Some Dr.'s even use a TEE which is where the echo "wand" is inserted down your throat. I don't know if this is necessary...in my case it showed up clearly w/ a std echo.

Good news: if you have a PFO, that explaines your issue, and it is treatable. It looks like my insurance is going to cover the whole thing. The proceedure that appears to be the most common, and the least invasive is where they plug the hole with a device inserted through the veins in your groin/leg area. Divers report a quick recovery, and return to diving shortly after the proceedure. It is a lifetime plug...stays with you forever.

Do a search on "cardioseal"

Later,
Ryan

Hootis:
Turns out I have a PFO.
Make sure the Dr. does a "Bubble Study" in conjunction with the Echo. Mine didn't show up on Doppler until they injected the bubbles. Some Dr.'s even use a TEE which is where the echo "wand" is inserted down your throat. I don't know if this is necessary...in my case it showed up clearly w/ a std echo.

Ryan,

Do you have to go see a cardiologist to perform the PFO test...? Did this require some sort of referral from your primary doc...? I'd like to get tested - but your typical 31 yr old male dosn't have a cardiologist. :)

I can only offer some anecdotal evidence here- My open water instructor told me of a guy he was diving with who got DCS after diving a very safe profile. It was due to dehydration. Makes sense too- if your blood vessels are contricted due to low amounts of water, microbubbles will get stuck in them.

MonkSeal:
It's not that I don't believe you but I would like Dr Deco to make a comment on this.

In my opinion in such situation holding a breath is more posible causing different type of injuries not DCS.

There is a type of decompression that occurs way within established NDL's, it is called shock decompression sickness

The best analogy I can think of is the old party trick where you hit the top a bottle of beer being held in someones hand with another bottle. The bottle that is struck immediately overflows because of massive bubble formation.

One of the first cases of this was documented in Australia where a woman did a rapid ascent from 5 meters when the safety stop bar she was hanging onto swung up to the surface as the boat movd with the wind.

cancun mark:
There is a type of decompression that occurs way within established NDL's, it is called shock decompression sickness

The best analogy I can think of is the old party trick where you hit the top a bottle of beer being held in someones hand with another bottle. The bottle that is struck immediately overflows because of massive bubble formation.

One of the first cases of this was documented in Australia where a woman did a rapid ascent from 5 meters when the safety stop bar she was hanging onto swung up to the surface as the boat movd with the wind.

Of course this can happen, but you didn't write what profile she had before this pop-up.

For any DCS type you have to have some nitrogen in your body. From the original post:

"Profile was something like 15 feet for 5 minutes ..."

Do you think that it's enogh time & depth to on-gas ? I don't.

Some good news, I was checked it out by my local chamber doctor and was cleared to dive. I am going to call my instructor and ask him if I have to repeat the whole course or what do I need to do to get my OWC done with. I might wait until the summer. Ski season is coming and I got to head to Colorado. Thanks to all who responded and I hope the scuba gods will be nicer to me this time!

Jimmy

Back
Top Bottom