First time diver to Hawaii guide?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DougK

Contributor
Reaction score
Group, I am doing some preliminary research into a upcoming trip to Hawaii. I find Hawaii will be one of the more challenging destinations for a couple of reasons: First I am close to having visited all 50 states. With this in mind, my trip will be equally spent above the water as below. But, diving in Hawaii is an absolute must.

I am an OW and Rescue Diver certified, but by quirk of fate so far have not gotten my AOW. So if any place you recommend needs that please say so. I have time to remedy that situation.

Because Hawaii is multiple islands trying to get a good mix of sites to visit both above and below is where the challenge lies. I am much more interested to seeing the Volcano on the big Island than going to Honolulu/Wakiki/Pearl Harbor. However of the things on the Honolulu, Pearl Harbor would be of some interest. My real interest in seeing the many states is seeing areas away from the tourist destinations. I will likely have 7-11 days for such a trip.

What diving locations would you recommend as a not to miss? What island are they on/near? Any real signature dives, etc? And for those that travel frequently what is the best method to move from one island to the next that say a tourist might now immediately know about?

What months of the year are better for diving is you have an option of the entire year available to plan such a trip?

Thanks for any and all help.

Last edited:
We live on the Big Island and take out divers that stay at our sugar cottage (sugar-inc.com). We are located 63 miles from the Volcano National Park and on days you don't dive it is an easy trip. The best diving is in the summer months although there can still be good diving all year. We have northwest swells that can dictate where your dive site might be. Place of Refuge (2 Steps) is a must for shore dives and sometimes is the last place you can enter the water from the shore if there are big swells. Dolphins are quite common in this bay but not always present. Going from island to island can be pricy, the Big Island is the most diverse having lava flows as well as beautiful lush greenery. Big Island Revealed is a great book to check out all the places one would want to explore.

Doug, you may be getting a lack of interest in responding to your question because it is so broad.
1) Besides the ferry from Maui to Lanai, there is really only flying between islands except by private boat.
2) 7-11 days is maybe a two island trip, there is SO much to see and do on each.
3) Top diving super briefly
Big Island - Manta Ray night dive - Garry's 2 step suggestion is awesome.
Maui - Molokini crater or Lanai Cathedrals
Oahu - a wreck dive
Kauai - a trip to Niihau
Great ops all over that can do AOW (including us).
4) Diving is good 365, no real season for good diving.

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom