Looking to move from Suunto to petrel 1/2 or perdix, few questions on differences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a Suunto on a DSS bungie mount and the height of it vs the Petrel was not significantly different. The Petrel is certainly bigger otherwise. I ran bungee for the Petrel, in fact I ran both my Petrel 1 and compass on the same bungie. Compass on the top of my wrist and computer under my wrist. Somewhere I posted a picture of that.

If you are coming from a watch size dive computer or have never had a wrist dive computer, the Shearwaters will look and feel like a brick.

If you had a Suunto Vyper or Gekko on your wrist the Perdix will not feel much different. It will be a rectangle vs a circle.

Thanks guys. Have a suunto vyper and suunto compass both on bungee mounts now.

I moved from a Suunto Cobra 3 to a Perdix AI. I love the Perdix! More info on the display, nice and bright display, bluetooth downloads to MacDive with no expensive USB connector required, more flexible now that I am a tec diver... The Perdix is awesome!

I currently use both a Petrel 2 and a Perdix AI (but with no transmitters).

Just buy a Perdix.

I use Dive Log on a iPad for downloading dives. It is actually quite good so don't care about Subsurface not sorting out Bluetooth properly. I am not sure about all the LE vs not stuff. I thought the Petrel 2 was LE and that was required for iOS connectivity.

The straps on the Petrel are quite annoying. I never fitted them on my Perdix, I just stole some bungee ones from my compass.

Battery life on both is adequate. Basically you don't have to worry about batteries. According to Shearwater the Perdix is better.

I guess you are looking to talk yourself into a Petrel 1 due to the absurd cost of a new one. If that is the case you might as well stick with the Vyper and use the money to learn to do a little bit of deco.

I moved from a Suunto Cobra 3 to a Perdix AI. I love the Perdix! More info on the display, nice and bright display, bluetooth downloads to MacDive with no expensive USB connector required, more flexible now that I am a tec diver... The Perdix is awesome!

Thanks, good to know it works with MacDive just over Bluetooth... That's what I've been using for my dive logging and like it... I will probably move up from Vyper to Perdix when I'm ready.

Back
Top Bottom