Wilmington Dive and Weather Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will the dive shop cancel or just change to a different location? I guess I should call there late this afternoon.
Our hotel reservations are non-refundable at this point but they will let us move them to a different weekend at no charge.

Well, it depends largely on the location and the trend in the forecast. I checked the forecast for Murrell's Inlet and it's only slightly better than Wilmington and would still be a no go for both days if the current forecast holds. The forecast for offshore Wilmington has improved somewhat since yesterday. However, it appears that it won't make a difference at least for Sunday. Yesterday, they were calling for 20 - 25 knot winds and 4 - 7 ft seas on Saturday and 30 - 35 knot winds 7 - 12 ft seas on Sunday.

Today, they're calling for 15 - 25 knot winds and 3 - 6 ft. seas on Saturday and 20 - 30 knot winds and 5 - 9 ft. seas on Sunday. Again, all of those would still be a no go. However, because the trend is improving, the dive ops are unlikely to make the call until this evening or early tomorrow morning because there's still an outside chance that conditions could improve enough for the boats to go out on Saturday.

So, at the moment, it's looking like we're going to have to drive to Wilmington and wait for the dive op to make the call late this evening or early tomorrow.

Well,as we thought it was blown out. I'm really bummed. I will need to find some other dates to try,especially since we have credit at the hotel now,since they were at least nice enough to give us credit despite the 72 hour cancellation policy.

Sorry to hear that. May be you can trip again for next week. Then you can join me, :) I booked for Sunday, Sep. 3, to dive in Hyde/Markham. I hope the weather is good.

Sept 3, as of now, is looking ok. I am going out Sat, Sept 2 on the afternoon trip to the Dredge and Stone. Also looks good. Probably no sharks at that site but lots of fish life and is all that fits my schedule at the moment.

Yep. We got blown out as well. They made the call about noon today. Looks like the quarry this weekend if I can find a dive buddy.

I'm hunkering down in house now too. Hurricane Harvey just made a landfall & dumping lots of water. I may get my gears ready just in case my house gets underwater. :)

Sorry to hear that. May be you can trip again for next week. Then you can join me, :) I booked for Sunday, Sep. 3, to dive in Hyde/Markham. I hope the weather is good.
Would love to but have a dog show that I've already entered. Then the parents are here for a couple of weeks. Looks like sometime at the end of September. I have some leave that week so we will try to find two trips back to back if possible. We could do a Monday or Friday trip since I have the leave,too. Joe teaches Tuesday,Weds and Thursday so those days are usually out.

I'm hunkering down in house now too. Hurricane Harvey just made a landfall & dumping lots of water. I may get my gears ready just in case my house gets underwater. :)

Q: How did you get to work today?

A: Backstroke.

Honestly, some of the rainfall predictions if Harvey stalls are extremely ugly. Good luck. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you.

Q: How did you get to work today?

A: Backstroke.

Honestly, some of the rainfall predictions if Harvey stalls are extremely ugly. Good luck. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you.

Thanks. Still stay dry so far. Just a big tree limb fell on my back yard & a pond suddenly appears on the backyard. Keeping my fingers crossed too. I started packing my gears for trip to Wilmington.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom