seawing nova fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Kay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,
I have knee issues and want to get away from my stiff Mares fins. Been looking at the scuba pro seawing nova as an alternative. Can users please comment up or down on these fins. Some people say they are not good for frog kicks, Thanks, Dave

Standard fin not good on frog kick but very easy on the knee, gorilla fin version is good for the frog but harder on the knee with other kicks.

Sherwood tritons are very easy on the knee and do a good job with the frog kick, at least my version of one, they are long and feel floppy but can really keep up in the water, very efficient.

Deep 6 eddys are screaming good for frog kick but really hard on the knees, I modded mine to give a bit more flex for other kicks and they still do the frog as well as ever.

Nova's are an excellent all around fin but cost to much.

Agreed with lexvil regarding the Seawing's not being as effective with the frog kick.

The Seawing is known for speed and great for currents. It is very efficient with the flutter kick. It is fairly easy on the knees and ankles. Split fins, such as the Twin Jets, are much easier on the joints.

Agreed with lexvil regarding the Seawing's not being as effective with the frog kick.

The Seawing is known for speed and great for currents. It is very efficient with the flutter kick. It is fairly easy on the knees and ankles. Split fins, such as the Twin Jets, are much easier on the joints.

Interesting. I own these fins and my only two complaints is that they perform poorly in currents and are lacking in frog kick performance. They flex quite a bit, though are easy on the knees.

I had zero issues with a frog kick, in fact I was surprised at how good they were. Just wayyyy to costly, we were given a pair to trial in the pool from the shop.

I've used mine to frog kick for years. I frog kick probably 60%-75% of the time. No issues at all. My only issue was the cost and they are so big they are tougher to pack than other fins. I also like that they are very slightly positively buoyant which helps getting back on a rocky dive boat if you lose one.

Jim

I've been using Scubapro seawing nova's since they came out in 2009 and I've never heard of them being challenged with frogkick. I frogkick 80% of the time, if not more. After getting the seawing nova's, I've never switch to any other product. In fact, I have several colors and use them depending on situations. When teaching, my wife and I will use white, which helps students spot us right away.

These fins are amazing and Scubapro stands behind this product. I highly recommend it, sure it's costly, but then, you deserve the best.

Go for them if you can, you won't be disappointed.
Ricardo

I've been using Scubapro seawing nova's since they came out in 2009 and I've never heard of them being challenged with frogkick. I frogkick 80% of the time, if not more. After getting the seawing nova's, I've never switch to any other product. In fact, I have several colors and use them depending on situations. When teaching, my wife and I will use white, which helps students spot us right away.

These fins are amazing and Scubapro stands behind this product. I highly recommend it, sure it's costly, but then, you deserve the best.

Go for them if you can, you won't be disappointed.
Ricardo
When I went to the Philippines, first trip to asia, all the dive guides wore a different color fin on each foot make it easy to pick out the guide. Really helped me out. White is a great idea too. Thanks

For those using the frog kick, do you use it with a straight leg, actual frog kick where one bends the knees and kicks out, or the modified frog kick that cave and wreck divers use?

In my experience the Nova's are not that efficient with the modified frog kick.

I do the regular frog kick. I had to look up what the modified is, not being a student of the subtleties of various types of frog kicks. I just do what works and don't think about it. If I'm trying to go somewhere fast (which is rarely) I'll flutter but most of the time it's frog kick. Easier, does not stir up sediment and provides good propulsion.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom