Replacing an i300

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIHappyDiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, my first i300 bit the bullet after 2 dives. Froze up in the middle of the dive. Aqualung replaced it with a new unit under warranty, which was great. I wasn't too concerned since things break, it happens, and Aqualung came through. I'm 4 dives in on the new i300 and it is going back this week. The first 2 dives the DC gave me a dive time of 2 minutes less than the log. No biggie. Third dive it clocked me at 34 minutes on a 58 minute dive. Forth dive it functioned perfectly! That was yesterday afternoon and the unit did not shut down after 24 hours (8 hours ago), it reset to the 2 hour on mode and has kept doing so ever since. So, keeping it less than $500, including download cable, using PZ+, DSAT or both, do I pick up a Geo 2 while they are still available, or is there a unit that I'm overlooking? Sorry this was long winded, but it felt good to get this off of my chest.

Thanks,
Erik

Geo 2. Or Atom. Or Perdix. :D

@Jason, I want to be the first to congratulate you on being the first to mention Perdix:yeahbaby:. So, 2 votes for the Geo, 1/2 for the Atom and honorable mention for the Perdix.

Well, reading these posts has me a bit concerned, I just purchased the i300 a few days ago and am wondering if I made a mistake. When it booted up the first time I noticed that the battery gauge showed only 1/3 of the battery was left. I called Aqualung and they asked me to take it back to the dive shop and have a new battery installed which we did. The battery gauge still shows 1/3 after boot up but Aqualung said that that is normal and that when I return to the surface after a dive it will show the true battery reserve. Does that make sense to you folks??

I have an i300 with 50 dives and no problems. The battery symbol on startup isn't a gauge, it's just telling you that the battery check is fine. It'll give you a low batt warning if it needs replacing (I'm still on the original battery). With regard to the unit staying on post dive; it does this until your tissue compartments have cleared.

I now have a Petrel 2 as my main computer but the i300 is perfectly capable as a recreational computer.

@Duffy1, I know people who have this computer and have no problems, just like Froggle. They just don't like me. As Froggle said, when it goes through its diagnostics at start up it shows the low battery indicator. I also can attest to the fact that if there ever is a problem, AQ will take care of you. One thing to keep in mind, if they replace your unit the warranty continues from your original purchase date.

Update. My lds, who I did not buy the unit from, but has helped me through both warranty returns, expedited a new unit from Aqua Lung for me and got it today (Aqua Lung received my return last Friday)! While I was there picking it up I also ordered a Geo 2.0. It cost a little more to order it from the lds but good customer service is worth the extra money. Should have the Geo in 1-2 weeks and am looking forward to trying it out. As far as the i300, hopefully third time is a charm.

You could do the Aeris A300. $200 gets you both Z+ and DSAT algorithms, brand new. Downside is the cable is very expensive - I think $90 unless you can find it used or on ebay for $50ish.

$100 cheaper than the Oceanic equivalent Veo because this brand name is being discontinued.

There have been other posts here on SB that say that Aeris computers are no longer being supported at all by Oceanic. I.e. no warranty. But then there was at least one other post saying that they will continue to offer repairs until they exhaust their current supply of parts.

I don't know what the truth of the matter is but I would be reluctant to buy an Aeris now until I got some kind of confirmation on warranty and repair support. Or if it was REALLY cheap.

Back
Top Bottom