It's the end of a 'Long' Run -

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What does that expression mean?
I suspect its a reference to the soap opera "Dallas" from the 80's

Hmm, I was looking really closely at the new San Diego model.......the comments about quality control are concerning. Anyone suspect that buying a suit now will be met with issues that cannot be resolved down the road, or perhaps a lack of zip seals if DUI folds?

I am so sorry to hear this. Thoughts and prayers for your Mom, and for you. A double grieving is always hard. Hang in there.

Thanks for the years! I proudly became a "dog" in the late 90's. Yeah, it has changed.

I have really enjoyed our interactions. Sorry the last one was a bit bumpy. Hope everything worked out and you are back in the water.

Thank you Kathy for both your assistance to so many SB members an our few interactions when I was employed at a DUI retailer.

Over the years I've responded to hundreds of questions here on Scubaboard. I'm sad to announce that Tuesday was my last day at DUI. I am officially the last “Long” to leave the building. For those of you who don’t know, DUI is – or was – a family business. My mother, Janice, used her savings and together she and Dick, my father, opened up Skin Diving Unlimited in 1963. It was a small scuba shop in La Mesa, California. This transformed into a manufacturing company and became known as DUI. Even after my parents divorced my mother, sisters and I have been employed at various times and lengths. My last run at DUI was 23 years.

View attachment 422906

My sister, Susan, took over running the family business in 2003 and became co-owner, CEO and President. Last year Dick returned from retirement, forced Susan out and announced “new and bold directions”. Kudos to my sister who handled this so professionally. It was really a difficult time as in addition to the work challenges our mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer and died.

It’s been a tumultuous year at DUI since she left. There is no direction. Key team members have left and more are leaving. DUI is now selling direct with little regard for dealers and service issues are compounding. Dick just retired again leaving people in charge who even he says “are not doing their jobs”. It’s been difficult to watch the slow deterioration.

So it’s my turn to let go. I will miss my hopes and dreams for DUI. I will miss the smell of glue when walking into the factory. I will miss the sound of the office door that never really closed right and the snack machine I absolutely LOVED as a kid. I will miss being a part of something that was special in the diving industry.

It's been awesome.

Kathy - DUI was a family. The relationship that you and Susan (and so many other wonderful people) had with your customers, representatives and others was very personal. Something quite remarkable in such a successful and internationally renowned business. Many happy memories of interactions at Demo Days, Trade Shows as online. Always positive, always upbeat. Very sad for you and Susan. Thank you for your amazing service, both of you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom