Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello! (This is my first post here and I hope I'm in the right place, apologies if not!)

I've just ordered my first dry suit (Azdry Pro made to measure) and I am stuck as to which under suit I should go for. I'm a fairly new diver and dive UK waters in a 7mm semi-dry up to this point but decided enough was enough.

I've whittled it down to either the Fourth Element Arctic or the Arctic Expedition and would just like some advice as to the benefits of the Expedition and whether the extra cost is worth it.

Thanks in advance! :)

I dive a neoprene drysuit now so I'm slightly less at the mercy of the cold UK water but most of the people in my club use the standard Arctic year round with laminate suits. They do, however, use base layers with them. One of the ladies in my club has the Arctic Expedition undersuit but was still complaining about the cold only last week in 16C water - she doesn't use dry gloves though and everyone else I dive with does. I found that switching to drygloves made a big difference to how warm I feel during a dive.

If I were in your position I'd seriously consider a Kwark Navy Undersuit based on the reviews from people who've previously used the Arctic.

I dive in the Great Lakes region. The Arctic with a base layer is good for me unless it's very cold. The Expedition was just too thick and bulky for me when I tried it on.

I dive a neo drysuit.

Currently only wearing a gul Base layer on or just pants and tshirt.

When temp drops will put on my 4th element artic

Do you plan on diving all year round? If so, neither of those will fair particularly well in the winter under a trilam suit. Santi BZ400 all the way

In the coldest water, I've found the Fourth Element Xerotherm base layer under the Arctic does fine.

I have a crushed neo O3 suit, only slightly warmer than a trilam. I use the Artics. Under them I use HH base layers, either the 'cool' or the 'warm' or both, rarely neither. The base layers make a significant difference.

I also have the Halo 3D which is a bit warmer but needs quite a lot more lead. I almost never use it.

I use 5mm wet gloves. By and large my hands are ok. Dry glove users seem to have endless hassle so I have never gone for them.

I have an assortment. DUI 400g Thinsulate, 200g Thinsulate, Whites fleece, Halo 3D, Weezle Extreme, various other stuff.

Since you are in the UK where they're made, don't ignore Weezle. Less expensive and warmer than some of the alternatives, including my Halo 3D. It needs more lead than the Halo, but I have not found that it takes more than a couple of pounds. That said, see what you can borrow before buying. Try a base layer and warm fleece pants and a top if you own them already. Bespoke dry suit undergarments are expensive, so anything you can do to reduce the learning curve is to your advantage. I have probably spent nearly as much on undergarments as on dry suits (I have three dry suits, two purchased new).

A lot of beginners underinflate their suits. Air keeps you warmer, within reason. Don't keep it on the verge of squeeze and you'll be a lot warmer.

Whites Thermal Fusion is warmer than the Arctic and very versatile. I have used it between 4 and 22 *C. Dry gloves are very helpfu, indeed, as is a thick and snug hood.

Weezle undersuits could merit a look as well. Made in the U.K. I believe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom