GUE position on lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

why go through all of the effort vs. just borrowing one from the instructor or a friend? They're not unobtanium

True, true. Just curious from the standards perspective. Similarly to @AlexL and a few others here I came to the conclusion that nowhere in GUE course standards are corded lights listed as required equipment, yet @johnkendall says they are "not optional".

full?d=1503063108.jpg

As I said, it is a *requirement* for a tech pass to use a corded primary light for the S-Drill and Valve Drill. This isn't optional I'm afraid.

hey John,

i don't think anyone here is questioning the requirement, as basic reasoning explains the 'why'. the continued discussion is the ambiguity in the otherwise precisely stated published standards. ambiguity which has caused more then a few people confusion. this is why i posited that a minor revision to the fundamentals tech level gear requirement to clarify the ambiguity, and bring the standards in line with the requirements. obviously, this is not the official channel to discuss modifications of the polices and procedures, it would need to be proposed up to the board and accepted, which does take time and processes that i am honestly fully unfamiliar with.

kind regards,

Alex

They aren't required equipment but you must be proficient with one for a tech pass. I.e know how to manage the light cord.

You can borrow one from your instructor if you don't use one yourself.

Surely you can see it's better to have it this way than making it part of the equipment standards so you have to buy one for yourself?

I think it's better to give people the freedom to choose their own light relative to the diving they are doing.

Also no one has mention the eo aspect ie having power packs for heated vests etc.

Also the fact that if you drop a can light head it doesn't disappear into the depths.

Out of pure curiosity: would a hand-held light work in Fundies if it were connected with a length of a thin garden hose to a soda can secured to the belt with a few rubber rings?

No. That would be foolish.
It's simple. If you don't have a canister light, borrow one from the instructor to show competence, then give it back and continue with your hand held light.

Hth
John

hey John,

i don't think anyone here is questioning the requirement, as basic reasoning explains the 'why'. the continued discussion is the ambiguity in the otherwise precisely stated published standards. ambiguity which has caused more then a few people confusion. this is why i posited that a minor revision to the fundamentals tech level gear requirement to clarify the ambiguity, and bring the standards in line with the requirements. obviously, this is not the official channel to discuss modifications of the polices and procedures, it would need to be proposed up to the board and accepted, which does take time and processes that i am honestly fully unfamiliar with.

kind regards,

Alex
It is not required to own a canister light. It is required to show competence in using one.
Standards are always being revised, and revisited as equipment changes, and procedures are developed.

Hth
John

Also no one has mention the eo aspect ie having power packs for heated vests etc.

Also the fact that if you drop a can light head it doesn't disappear into the depths.

not an EO fan because the cheaper ones used in diving aren't actually designed to be wet connected. There is no pressure relief in there for the water so it's really something you should try to avoid.
For the vest I prefer the UWLD option of the stack cap where I can put the vest controller on there when I need it, and take it off when I don't without having a second cord/switch coming out of the canister at all times

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom