ScubaBoard Invasion Central 2018 Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi. I've stayed here before and it's good family friendly hotel. This will be my 8th trip to Cozumel. One time for 3 weeks during college back in 89. Man was that fun. The rooms at this hotel are a little tight, as they are in most hotels, so we're deciding tonight if we're going to do 2 adjoining rooms. I'm undecided at this point how we'll handle diving and the kids remaining at the hotel. The kid hangout place at the hotel requires one adult be on the hotel property if they're going to be there.

My oldest will be 12 when we go and we're discussing getting certified. She wants to do it but I'm nervous about kids her age handling emergency situations. We'll decide this winter and get her certified next spring. My 7 yr old is already certified, a certified lunatic.

It's gonna be a blast. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Fat Daddy
I would definitely encourage you to do it. My daughter was 10 (she is now 12 and will be 13) when we first got her certified. She and my husband are always buddies, we drill her a lot about emergency situations, talk about situational awareness in every day life and apply it to diving, ask her random questions to keep her on her toes. She understands we do it to keep her sharp, and her skills have grown. If they stay in their depth and don't dive beyond their certification, I think you can expect that the training is reliable. They learn the same information and take the same test as the adults--the only "jr." about it is their age on the card and their recommended depth limitations. My dd has had situations underwater where she has had to share air for real, lost her fin and had to get it back on, fogged mask, and various other little things, and she is honestly extremely calm and deliberate about things when they happen and doesn't panic. My husband dives with her because I'm more of a nervous Nellie and I tend to fret about every little thing. They work well as a team.

I suppose it depends on the kid and their maturity level, but if a 12 year old wants to do it and understands the risks and responsibilities, I say go for it!

We are in still waiting on the email to work out the details, but we are doing 9 nights. Anyone else want to try to do a whale shark trip on Saturday the 23rd? That way we can do cenotes and Whale Sharks.

I just got word that My sister booked two rooms also so it looks like the New Mexico contingent is currently sitting at 6.

Yes. Definitely want to do both side trips, even if it means an extra day or two.
My understanding is the Cenotes and Whale Sharks are a Friday add on I plan on checking out wet rocks in the dark and am trying to get other stragglers to join us on Saturday to try for the whale sharks.

I would love to get you and others to join us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom