Serviced my first regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Excellent! I have a NOS SEA4 in front of me now waiting for an overhaul. Looks to be even easier than a Conshelf.
Very nice. Clearly I like the SEA4 . About a year ago I acquired a new, still int he package DIN kit and when I thought of installing it...well that started me thinking "why not try and service the entire thing." Now I have 2 DIN models which makes me very happy :) If you are going to do the second stage SEA4 I think you might benefit from the "HPR Second stage adjustment tool" which Herman sells. I have one but I have not needed to use it yet.

What special tools did you end up needing?
The only tools I overspent on were a pair of Knipex Angled Retaining Ring Pliers, one internal and one external. I first tried one of the all in one retaining ring pliers that are reversible, but the Knipex are so much more secure.

For a 1st stage vise handle I like the ones that have vise flats their entire length for better security when clamped in the vise. Other than that, just good quality shop tools are enough to get started. If you hit a dead end, stop and buy whatever tool that step requires.

Very nice. Clearly I like the SEA4 . About a year ago I acquired a new, still int he package DIN kit and when I thought of installing it...well that started me thinking "why not try and service the entire thing." Now I have 2 DIN models which makes me very happy :) If you are going to do the second stage SEA4 I think you might benefit from the "HPR Second stage adjustment tool" which Herman sells. I have one but I have not needed to use it yet.

I like the SEA4 too, although it's a heavy reg, good single tank hose routing. A friend gave me a DIN SEA4 that the LDS had butchered trying to disassemble, so I do have those parts as a DIN kit. I did buy Herman's HPR tool but haven't needed it either as the AL 2nd stages never seem to need adjustment. Good to have though.

Personally I think snap-ring pliers are fairly essential plus a couple of good sets of various O-Rings come in very handy. So far I've only worked on piston-type single-hose regs and up until today I've had great success. Right now I'm trying to get the first stage of a Sherwood 3100 to stop leaking. Also, to me the diaphragm regs are still a mystery. I have an old SportsWays that makes horrible noises and leaks terribly. I'm thinking the inside of the end cap (right name?) is too corroded to seal. I could really use a source for some shims for my Sherwoods.

awesome! Vintage Double Hose videos have helped me get started too! I am working on a ScubaPro MK5 (stuck without the appropriate tool at the moment). It doesn't even have a 3000 psi yoke, has a metal knob for tightening the yoke, and also has some corrosion. This is my test run before I service a nearly identical MK5 which I plan to actually use on a pony for diving. Then I'll move onto servicing our MK10s which are our primary regulators we dive with.

Here are the ~30 pieces of a Zeagle Flathead VI first stage, completely stripped down, cleaned, and ready for reassembly:

First Stage.jpg

Here are the ~20 pieces of a Zeagle ZX second stage, completely stripped down, cleaned, and ready for reassembly:

Second Stage.jpg

This Lego Puppy Playground set, by comparison, has 61 pieces and is slightly more difficult to assemble.

puppy playground.JPG

Congrats and enjoy. :wink:

-B

The only tools I overspent on were a pair of Knipex Angled Retaining Ring Pliers, one internal and one external. I first tried one of the all in one retaining ring pliers that are reversible, but the Knipex are so much more secure.

For a 1st stage vise handle I like the ones that have vise flats their entire length for better security when clamped in the vise. Other than that, just good quality shop tools are enough to get started. If you hit a dead end, stop and buy whatever tool that step requires.
When I rebuilt my conshelf, I didn't have a 1sr stage vise handle. I cut the fitting off of a HP hose and secured that in the vise. It worked fine for me.

This Lego Puppy Playground set, by comparison, has 61 pieces and is slightly more difficult to assemble.
View attachment 422356

LMAO

:popcorn: I keep waiting for the "OMG IF YOU DO THAT YOURSELF YOU'RE GONNA DIE" crowd to pipe in, but I suppose we get left alone in here, eh? nice.

Back
Top Bottom