Who has travel plans for the August 21 Total Solar Eclipse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Going to a little campground in Mountain Rest, SC almost dead center of the eclipse path! Pls a couple bonus days of reminding my flatlander body what "hills" feel like...

90% PACKED - one bag to check, a roll-on, and a backpack. Just need to add toilet bag and a few things from the car. Still got lots of room; wonder what I am forgetting? Oh, I've got 2 days to think & add.

The first morning is almost as critical as the return afternoon. I'll leave my house by 3:30am to drive to my kids' home, hurry them along in getting loaded to go to the airport (always like this: I actually leave before they have to be awake, then have to nag about leaving on time agreed!), and hope the planes go ok as there are just no good backup flights to Rapid City SD. We've had flight delays delay us many hours at times, one time getting us to Las Vegas 8 or 10 hours late, then driving into the desert at midnight. The hardest part of that one was getting out of town as we couldn't find our hiway for a while, but we have better maps and better understandings on how to use Gps navigation now. I've learned not to trust iphone Apple maps, but Google maps work okay usually. We've had a lot of thunderstorms lately, and that night did look questionable, but the weather forecast looks good now.

Then I hope our van rental company doesn't fail us. You know how sometimes they greet you on arrival explaining they don't have your reserved car, but their competitor does, and they will refund you the difference in rates? My van to be dropped off in another state is reserved for $800, and the competitors now want $2264 to $4270 for the same rental. I really do not want to play that game.

downside is forcasts are calling for rain currently. :(
8 days forecasts are just suggestions. Hope you get clear skies.

I'll be traveling out my back door into the pool with a lotta cold beverage. I saw a total eclipse when I was a kid. It was ok. Three minutes, it's over. Have fun!

I am sitting in Donnelly, Idaho, directly in the shadow's path. Unfortunately I have to head back to Boise today because my wife and I have to work on Monday.

People are starting to flow in up here. The little supermarket in McCall was a madhouse yesterday. They say motel rooms, normally $100. / night are going for over a grand! The "experts" predict that between 300,000 to 500,000 will be coming to Idaho to say they were here. Due to the geography we have a limited number of highways to get anywhere so traffic will be crazy.

Am I sad that I'll miss totality? Yes and no. It would be nice to see, but it all sounds like a giant hassle.

I am leaving for Pennyroyal today and will be there camping and diving for Sun/Mon.

Really really hope it doesn't.

Forcast now shows sunny, so yay for that.

We're hanging out with the Neptune's rejects crew in pavilion 13 and 16 with the pop-up awning. Have camp set up at the very top with the black Chevy truck and the grey Chevy van. Swing by and say hey if you want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom