Cozumel & Sunscreen: Look at what some Hawaii hotels are doing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a stupid question.

At depths deeper than 10 ft., is sunscreen needed ?

No. If we were talking about purified, distilled water in a resting bowl it would be a different story but even as clear as the Caribbean water looks it is salt water and LOADED with dissolved solids and things we can't see. Realistically, UVB rays penetrate less than 1'... more like a few inches. Heck, scientists believe life began and evolved in the oceans for many reasons, one of which it is such a fantastic filter of UV rays.

I know, I know, what about the reflected rays from the water... Can't say I've ever experienced a sunburn under a sun top from reflected rays and I've been on boats for 30+ years.

I have no idea how well UV rays reflect off of water, but about the worst sunburn I've ever gotten was from reflected rays - on a 30-mile canoe trip in an aluminum canoe. I put sunscreen on my face, arms, legs, neck, but neglected behind my knees, figuring they wouldn't be exposed. Boy, was I WRONG! I think the aluminum in that canoe not only reflected the sun's rays, but acted like a lens and focused them right on the back of my knees. I had blisters from the sunburn.

Blue XT~Sea provides biodegradable
Sunscreen on the boats - we have for quite awhile actually.

That's fantastic! And it's a good differentiator!

Blue XT~Sea provides biodegradable
Sunscreen on the boats - we have for quite awhile actually.

I've seen you post it before. What is that brand again?
Can you buy it in the US?
Can you buy it on Coz?
I need to get some. I've tried many bio screen's that have not worked well and clogged the crap out of my pores. The German/ Irish thing kills me in the sun within minutes. Oh, and I'm bald!!! I put Sunscreen on before I even walk out the door on days I'll be outside.. IMO application just out of the shower seems to let it soak in your skin the best with any sunscreen.
If the stuff you use on your boats works It should be a Sticky at the top of the Cozumel section of Scubaboard.com

I've seen you post it before. What is that brand again?
Can you buy it in the US?
Can you buy it on Coz?
I need to get some. I've tried many bio screen's that have not worked well and clogged the crap out of my pores. The German/ Irish thing kills me in the sun within minutes. Oh, and I'm bald!!! I put Sunscreen on before I even walk out the door on days I'll be outside.. IMO application just out of the shower seems to let it soak in your skin the best with any sunscreen.
If the stuff you use on your boats works It should be a Sticky at the top of the Cozumel section of Scubaboard.com

Here you go (from another thread):
Note about sunscreen: I believe it is a regular (and reasonable) request to avoid using most commercial brand/common sunscreens and instead opt for the reef-friendly options. Last time we were there, we picked up some locally produced, high-SPF, reef-friendly sunscreen. Worked well, wasn't exorbitantly priced and (if labels are to be believed) helps keep some $ in the local economy. Found it at one of the big stores (Mega/etc.).

Ah, found it: KiinSun brand SPF 50 broad spectrum, UVA UVB, organic, bio-degradable, reef-friendly, made in Q Roo, fully buzzword-compliant. Even smells like the tropics. Next trip, I'm stocking up.

Good stuff. Locally produced and biodegradable, reef-friendly (or so they claim), smells good, and works. I fry immediately when exposed to any radiation, so I always go for "SPF Ten Million." 50 was the highest I could find but it works for me. Get it there, don't bother bringing it.

Don't most quality op boats here have sun shades? And how long does it take to degrade the sunscreens, My guess is that no matter what you put on it will be metabolized by the time it gets to Cuba

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Last edited:
Salty Endeavors makes its own reef-safe sunscreen and it is provided free of charge to anyone diving on our boat. In fact we go so far as to mention this in our booking emails noting that you should purchase only reef-safe sunscreen before departing the USA (it is quite difficult to locate on-island) and any OTC brands not reef safe will not be allowed onto our boat. Additionally, our boat does have an overhead sun shade. I believe most shops have a sun shade overhead, although I know a few don't.

Back
Top Bottom