Filmmaker Rob Stewart dies off Alligator Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was searching for a photo of a dead horse being beaten....

"Urgent communications are identified by "Pan-Pan" (pronounced Pahn-Pahn)."

"As with mayday (from venez m'aider, "come help me"), the emergency call pan-pan derives from French. In French, a panne ([pan], "pan") is a breakdown, such as a mechanical failure. In English, it is also sometimeS pronounced as /pæn/ ("pan").

A three-letter backronym, "possible assistance needed" or "pay attention now" is derived from "pan". It is used in maritime and aeronautical radio communications courses as a mnemonic to radio and communications operators, specifically to reaffirm the important difference between mayday and pan-pan emergency communications." (wikipedia)

OTOH, it won't matter too much as everybody will realize what you're trying to say anyway.

LOL
That is exactly the problem! Telling me it is pronounced PAN PAN does not tell me how it is pronounced, it only tells me how it is spelled.
It tells you exactly how it is pronounced. Do you not cook on your stove using a pan?

Back
Top Bottom