Help, Mares Proton Octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Long story short, I'm just getting into diving. I had a friend give me all his stuff because he hasn't dived and doesn't see it happening anytime soon. I took everything to a shop to have it looked at before trusting anything.

I have read and read, and searched and searched, and learned a good bit of information all across this board. Now I have a specific question that can't be answered from searching.

I had the Mares Proton looked at / serviced. He said the 1st stage and the primary was rebuilt and good to go, but the secondary was broken. There is a cross section in the housing that holds the exhaust valve that's busted. In order to replace this, he said I need a new housing. He said they weren't a Mares dealer (which I didn't know when I took it there), and that I need to have it looked at by a dealer....and then gave me a bill for $113.00.

I called Mares and they no longer make this part. I have also called another shop (Mares Dealer) and will take it there to have it looked at, but I'm pretty doubtful. Even if they can get the part, I'm unsure that it would make sense to get part / rebuild reg. I'll probably be almost at the cost of a new one anyway.

My thought is to just by a brand new secondary and call it a day. I hate to use the word "cheap", but I don't really want to spend tons on something if I can get something that is cost effective and serves it's purpose.

I just need some guidance in the right direction, and maybe some suggestions on what to get if getting a new octo. Thanks.

Thank you, will do right now.

The rover octo is very similar to the proton and they're relatively cheap. I'd also consider the MV which is a little smaller.

Thanks again for the referral @tbone1004, I'm waiting to hear back from the tech lab now, to see if they have any spare housings laying around. Unfortunately, I don't have any Proton parts at all. From the pictures @rob.mwpropane sent me, it is possible it can be salvaged at a very minimal cost (ie shipping of parts). Just waiting on confirmation from Mares. @rob.mwpropane, the part numbers for the Exhaust T are 46200521 and the housing itself is 46200524. As soon as I hear back from the lab in Boca Rotan, I will let you know.

The rover octo is very similar to the proton and they're relatively cheap. I'd also consider the MV which is a little smaller.

I had not seen the rover, but I had read in a thread somewhere that the MV free flows? Rover is $125, MV is ~ $90.

Thanks again for the referral @tbone1004, I'm waiting to hear back from the tech lab now, to see if they have any spare housings laying around. Unfortunately, I don't have any Proton parts at all. From the pictures @rob.mwpropane sent me, it is possible it can be salvaged at a very minimal cost (ie shipping of parts). Just waiting on confirmation from Mares. @rob.mwpropane, the part numbers for the Exhaust T are 46200521 and the housing itself is 46200524. As soon as I hear back from the lab in Boca Rotan, I will let you know.

Mr Bryan I can't tell you how appreciative I am of your willingness to help. I look forward to hearing what you find. Am amazed at how fast of a response I got from you.

I had not seen the rover, but I had read in a thread somewhere that the MV free flows? Rover is $125, MV is ~ $90.

Mr Bryan I can't tell you how appreciative I am of your willingness to help. I look forward to hearing what you find. Am amazed at how fast of a response I got from you.

Your Welcome. For what it is worth, I use the Mares MV primary and Octo, just as my go to regulator for all my fun diving, and recently switched it from my pony regulator to my PSD regulator. The older style MV's did have a tendency to free flow, because of a design flaw in the Exhaust Diaphragm, but that has be fixed. It is important to note, the MV 12s, which is the primary has been discontinued, but the MV Octo is still in production. The Rover, primary, is Mares' work horse, unbalanced, rental regulator that most Mares Dealers use for rental or classes, and the second stage is very basic. But with that being said, the Mares Prestige, which is an awesome regulator, is nothing more than a Rover with a different face plate. If I had to pick, I would choose the MV, because of the versatility of donation to a diver who is out of air. It can be handed off in any orientation because of its design. As much as I would like to see you stay with Mares, you can mix and match manufactures if you have a local dealer close with a better buy. Just make sure you have a technician check the intermediate pressure to make sure it is not set too high for that particular second stage. I am partial to Mares, because I am a dealer, but I have sold and used all the major companies over the last 30 years. They all make great products.

Just wanted to respond here an mention that I'm still on course with trying to get the regulator rebuilt. So far coming up a little short, but I will say that Mr. Bryan at Lake Hickory Scuba really went out of his way to point me in the right direction, and no he did not ask me to post this. I felt obligated after the 10 or 12 emails we had back and forth, all the while he never tried to sell me a thing. That really impressed me. So I just wanted to throw that out there, am amazed at this community and how great it is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom