IANTD or SSI ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have taken the SSI nitrox course, and i think it was pretty good. I liked my instructors and felt they did a good job. I can't compare it the other agencies, though.

I have one one gripe with the SSI book - it's a little 'fluffy', if that makes any sense. it has all of these little puffer fish and starfish, and a cartoon picture of a clam for 'important points to review'. in my humble opinion, the graphic layout is a bit silly, and the beginning of the book also feels a bit like a sales pitch for more SSI classes. we did not do any dives. we did, however, analyze the gas in a cylinder with the shop's equipment.

interestingly, the SSI stress & rescue coursework (which i'm currently taking) does not have the fluffy fish and cartoons in the book (quite a relief!)

ThatsMe:
Yea my OW book was the same way! Do they let children take the course? Or is this a female friendly book?

???

I'd be a little careful with comments like that - there's some pretty sharp females in here ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

ThatsMe:
Or is this a female friendly book?

When i red that I was almost ready to .....let's say shout (which is certainly underestimation). But finally you said:

ThatsMe:
did not mean it like that........ Females like the "cute" stuff... I didnt mean for it to sound like i was comparing them to children lol :)

But I still don't like "cute staff" in the books. These drawings are annoying me as well. After all I'm grown up (but not every man is... :11ztongue ) and don't have to have drawings to help me understand the text I'm reading.

coming back to SSI vs IANTD nitrox. What made me laughing were SSI videos - on one of them there is a person with oxygen toxicity being carried up. The guy is unconscious but..... finning his fins!!!!!
Seriously I think IANTD as being the technical organization is better if you want to go into a bit more technical diving.
Mania

Wow, this went from a dry subject to a funny thread somehow....

I think I'm going to do IANTD, which the shop recommended...I just wanted get some input here before making the decision...thanks everyone!

I guess with some of these agencies it must be up to the discretion of the instructor/LDS whether to require dives or not...

IANTD has excellent student manuals 1990 I had to do two Nitrox dives. It is really up to the instructor, in the end - he/she decides and just sends in the paperwork. Personally, I do not think making actual dives is necessary.

junko:
I have a choice of these 2 for my Nitrox course (basic Nitrox), for the same price. Does anyone have any opinions?

You might notice the IANTD workbook includes NITROX Tables
from 26% to 40%. If your instructor cover these as well as
the run-of-the-mill 32 and 36%, you have a good instructor
and have a good base to grow from the Basic Nitrox to more
serious diving. IANTD S&Ps require you make two Nitrox dives
to get certified...so you get to practice what you learned in class.

junko:
Wow, this went from a dry subject to a funny thread somehow....

I think I'm going to do IANTD, which the shop recommended...I just wanted get some input here before making the decision...thanks everyone!

I guess with some of these agencies it must be up to the discretion of the instructor/LDS whether to require dives or not...
Jumping in here as a NYC resident...

If your asking about SSi and IANTD i am pretty sure what LDS you are talking about. FWIW, the IANTD materials are much more comprehensive than the SSi materials. If you don't want to think to much about it but want to be safe, the SSI stuff is fine. If you want to know more about the physics of Nitrox, the IANTD material is better.

I personally would go for the IANTD, but I've been accused of being a geek in this issue.

Feel free to PM me, we may have crossed paths at the shop.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom