Oceanic Geo 2.0 vs Agualung i200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Oceanic Veo 180 have 3 pages on various info in dive mode. I have to press the button once to stroll the page concerned. Incidentally, there is only one button on Veo 180.
The Geo is a more expensive and latest model than the Veo so I believe it probably still has the same feature.

I haven't actually run the numbers, but PZ+ should allow for a longer bottom time when in the 80+ft depth range as a fresh diver. They may have it tweaked so it always runs more conservative but I'm not sure. DSAT is a pretty aggressive algorithm in and of itself so it may be tweaked where it is also giving a bit more NDL

PZ+ is always more conservative than DSAT. Here are representative 1st dive NDLs:

upload_2017-8-3_15-25-51.png

Results for simulated, hyperbaric chamber, repetitive dives can be found here:
http://ads.bonniercorp.com/scuba/PDF/ScubaLab-Computer-Test-September-2014-data.pdf

As pointed out above, Oceanic computers run both DSAT and PZ+, Aqua Lung computers run only PZ+

The Geo manual calls theirs PZ+. The i200 manual just calls it Z+. Is it 100% the same algorithm?

The Geo manual calls theirs PZ+. The i200 manual just calls it Z+. Is it 100% the same algorithm?

I don't know that there is anybody here on SB that could answer that question with 100% definitive authority.

Probably the closest answer you'll get is to look for a manual page for the i200 that gives the same NDL table as what scubadada posted above for the Geo and then compare them.

I don't know that there is anybody here on SB that could answer that question with 100% definitive authority.

Probably the closest answer you'll get is to look for a manual page for the i200 that gives the same NDL table as what scubadada posted above for the Geo and then compare them.

Hi @Jason,

The Z+ NDLs in the i200 manual are exactly the same as for Oceanic PZ+ and the Geo 2
upload_2017-8-4_10-30-21.png

The original equipment manufacturer for Oceanic and Aqua Lung computers (and others) is Pelagic Pressure Systems. PPS used to be owned by American Underwater Products, parent of Oceanic (and others). AUP sold PPS to Aqua Lung. That is where all the "new" Aqua Lung computers came from. All of the Aqua Lung computers are derived directly from Oceanic or Aeris computers but lack the DSAT algorithm. Clearly, I don't think Aqua Lung wants most divers to know their new computer line is derived directly from older Oceanic and Aeris computers, but lacks the dual algorithm function. Marketing the Aqua Lung name likely goes a long way.
upload_2017-8-4_10-44-17.png

Oceanic PZ+ stands for Pelagic Z+ algorithm. Aqua Lung must have decided to drop the Pelagic P in their marketing. The information on OEM and acquisitions is not made readily available to the consumer. Besides Oceanic and Aqua Lung, PPS makes computers for Sherwood, Hollis, Tusa, Genesis, and, previously, Aeris (before the brand was folded into Oceanic). The PPS air integrated transmitters work for all these brands and also for the Shearwater Perdix AI. It is difficult to keep up with the scuba manufacturers, Oceanic and Hollis were recently acquired by Huish from AUP. Huish owns numerous other scuba equipment companies.

There is an equally, or more intriguing story surrounding the manufacture of regulators. I am unaware of many of the details, but others on SB are quite savvy on this topic.

Good diving, Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom