Truk/Kosrae/Pohnpei

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I’m thinking of going on the Odyssey in Truk for a week and then doing an add on to Kosrae or Pohnpei. For those who have been to Kosrae or Pohnpei, how many days would you suggest? If you have done both, which one did you prefer?

My thought was to do Kosrae/Pohnpei afterTruk. Is there any reason to reverse that and hit Kosrae/Pohnpei first?

We recently did 4 days in Pohnpei on the way home from Truk, dived 3 days. On the last day we did the tourist bit looking around. If we had time another day might have been good, because we were both having trouble clearing our ears by then. If the flights had been different I would have preferred to have gone to Pohnpei for some " warm up" dives first. But it really didn't matter.

Never been to Kosrae sorry
Cheers

Just did Majuro, Kosrae, Pohnpei, Truk, Saipan, Guam. Kosrae was disappointing. Not much in the way of fish at all. Coral in fairly good shape. Our experience in Pohnpei depended on the guide. Our fist guide was pretty bad, diving fast. I'm into little things and our second guide was terrific. I was hoping to find a closer alternative to Indonesia/Borneo/Phillipines, but didn't.

If I were adding on, I'd add on Yap and/or Palau. The other ones were pretty blah.

If I were to do Kosrae, Pohnpei or Majuro I'd do them as warm ups.

I like the idea of doing another island as a warmup before Truk, but much depends on the flight schedules which can be pretty wacky. I'd look at the schedules and decide based on that.

Have you already done Palau/Yap?

Thanks everyone for the comments. I have done Palau, but not Yap. I'll have to look into that. I'll also have to take a look at the flight schedules regarding Pohnpei as a possible warmup to Truk

If you're hoping to see Mantas on Yap...mating season is December to April/May...depending on the time of year they switch and dive from either the southern or northern sites. Check on the tides and lunar calendar as well. We always dived Yap in November...not prime time for Mantas..but our last trip in November 2014 rewarded us with some great sighting at Stammtisch. Yap is sublime...not to be missed.

Can anyone recommend dive operators on Pohnpei and Kosrai? In March & April, I'm taking the Island hopper on my return from Saipan, where I lived for 14 years, stopping to dive Chuuk, Phonpei, Kosrai, & Majuro. I have made arrangements with dive operators on all the islands except Pohnpei & Kosrae.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom