Missing Diver at Dutch Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heard reports that a diver failed to surface at Dutch Springs yesterday. Anyone have any info?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Threads merged

Despite its popularity for divers in the Northeast,Dutch Springs seems to have had a lot of fatalities over the years. Anyone keeping score?

Despite its popularity for divers in the Northeast,Dutch Springs seems to have had a lot of fatalities over the years. Anyone keeping score?

Each year, for the past 6 years, we have had 1-2 fatalities ranging from brand new diver to CCR experienced.

Each year, for the past 6 years, we have had 1-2 fatalities ranging from brand new diver to CCR experienced.

They get a huge number of divers annually - mostly checkouts. I wonder how that translates statistically?

They get a huge number of divers annually - mostly checkouts. I wonder how that translates statistically?

I know of a very well-run quarry not far from here that probably doesn't do a tenth of the business but averages about one fatality per year. I'm not sure how they could improve their procedures because they are already so safety-conscious and conscientious.

I've been to Dutch and thought that it was a quality facility as well, though much better equipped. If I compare these two locations, Dutch's statistics are exceptionally good. You hear about deaths from there because so very many people dive there. You hear about deaths because diving has risks.

It seems to me that those deaths are pretty much all related to the divers' healths. How is the site supposed to improve its safety record with those cases? What do golf courses do to prevent heart attacks and improve their safety record?

Back
Top Bottom