Solved: LGBTQIA people. Is there a need for a sub-forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
El Hefe 612

El Hefe 612

Sings "Wheels on the Bus" Daily
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Okay… First, I know I'm new here. Second, I'm genuinely curious. And third, I read the entire 18-page thread of the "LGBTQ Divers?" question. As a openly gay, married man I would love to have a place to connect with other gay men, women, and like-minded individuals to discuss dive travel opportunities, to find dive buddies without having to worry about whether or not they might have a problem with me, and to feel comfortable talking about things that might impact us.

If possible, I'd like to have a board created under Non-Geographic Clubs called:

LGBTQIA Divers and Their Friends

I have spent the past week-and-a-half searching the internet (and this board) for such clubs, and I was surprised how lacking they were. It's been six years since the original question was posted in the thread referenced above. I know if I'm interested, that there are probably many others who would be too, but they may just be afraid to ask. Many of the responses in the thread above were not very understanding of what it is like living as an LGBTQIA individual in a predominantly heteronormative global society. Having such a space is not about excluding anyone, it's about having space where we don't have to worry about being who we are and can focus on what we love - diving (among many other things).

Thanks!

I for one will not leave due to existence of any forum. Again I do not have to read if I don't like. but one of the issues I can see that might cause problems would be. eg: if someone was planning a group diving event that required travel and lodging. would a single diver post required sleeping partner in the LGBT forum or the specific group trip forum. sorry again using the LGBT group maybe in a negative fashion but what would I do if looking to share a room. I snore very badly and I like to sleep in the nude, with little covers. what forum would I use. That I know is an example in extreme but similar in my thoughts. I belong to this group to dive and get pertinent information about different ways to dive, not to crawl into my corner and only talk to the liberal thinking, women only group. but the community as a whole and as a family. as family they are all welcome to state their views and preferences but maybe I am wrong. I new idea has come to focus that there may be reasons to support this other sub group as suggested earlier because of LGBT friendly dive operations and such and those that maybe are not, a common place for passing along that information would be useful.
who knew I can be wrong..... take note mods this doesn't happen often.

No flame suit required. Quick thought experiment though.

If this was any other special interest group asking for a subforum e.g. Schoolteachers, airline pilots, serving military, people who live far from the ocean etc would we even be having this discussion?

Actually I invite you to look at the non-regional dive clubs etc that already populate the bottom half of the homepage for an idea how that has been answered in the past.

. . .

That brings up an interesting point. For example, "Grumpy Old Divers," which says it is a "'club' for elderly recreational and technical divers," is a sub-forum of non-regional dive clubs. I see quite a bit of activity there. Women's Perspectives is a full-on forum in itself, just like Basic Scuba, Advanced Scuba, Rebreather Diving, etc. It, too, is a well-used forum. Should discussions that people want to tie to age, gender, or sexual orientation be treated similarly? Or race, for that matter, if the issue arises.

It is hard enough finding dive buddies without adding another filter.

Is it a filter or a means of sharing experiences with vendors (good and bad)? I don't care if left-handed divers with orange drysuits from Austria feel they can use a forum just because I wouldn't use it. I'm sure that posts can be moved to other forums if there are only three threads after a couple of years. Non-issue IMHO.

I was under the impression this was not a dating board.
Beyond that, do you really feel you are that different or would you prefer to be treated as equals?
I have a lot of trouble trying to imagine how sexual orientation could possibly have anything to do with diving. I have been diving with people of different sexual orientations and to be honest with you, I couldn't see a difference.
You want to be sure someone will not have a problem with you? What behavior will you engage in that someone may have a problem with? Sharing a room with another man? Happens all the time... it's called doubles rate.
I don't advertise my sexual orientation while diving because it isn't relevant.
Don't make your world smaller than it already is. It is hard enough finding dive buddies without adding another filter.

This is a similar argument that people give when addressing White privilege who don't understand why it's an issue. You have the privilege of not having to worry about or announcing your sexuality because (I'm assuming) you live with heteronormative privilege in our society- the default assumption that you and everyone else is heterosexual. It is socially acceptable for you to be who you are.

For me it is not. I live daily with the fact that my very existence might offend someone and that they might react violently to who I am. Creating a space gives me at least one place I don't have to worry about that and feel safe right off the bat.

Sure it would be great if we didn't have to worry about that in today's day and age, but the reality is that we still do have to worry. One of the primary things we focus on in diving is safety, so this issue is very much related to diving.

I'm not here to date. I've been with my husband for 22+ years. I'm here to connect with people and resources with whom I can feel safe in all aspects of my diving.

Hope that help to explain why some of us feel this is important. Thanks for everyone's willingness to discuss this it is appreciated and help make us "newbies" feel welcomed.

I thought the LGBT community wanted equal treatment, so why make a sub-forum ostensibly being unequal treatment?

:cuddles:

I didn't vote as I don't have a dog in this fight, I think it should be decided by the folks who do. But I don't think people who voted no are necessarily biased in some way, I'd like to think none are. I'm thinking most are from the "it doesn't matter in diving so why should there be yet another separate forum" camp. Assuming otherwise is just making a different sort of baseless assumption.

To me it's in the same vein as the woman's forum - I'm not normally big on that sort of thing, but there are unique concerns there, as well as a population that has historically been (and still is) marginalized in various ways, both in society and the sport. The first thing that jumps to my mind, since I read a lot about different places and travel a fair bit, is friendly destinations and ops. I know I've read things in the past about some Caribbean islands being not so welcoming, though I believe it's evolved. A forum seems like a reasonable thing to try and as someone said, if there's only 3 posts in a year then it can go away. If it's useful, well then it's useful. I don't get the idea anyone is looking for a dating forum and I'm guessing this would be much more dive related than the pub!

Now the true colors are starting to show.

What do you mean?

Read some of the comments against. The code can be very subtle but is still there. There is no harm either way, but I just can't see any legitimate reason why not to give it a trial run.

Last edited:
I think it's a brilliant idea. I hope it gets traction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom