Fire Coral/hydroids sting (help!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
A couple of days ago in St John I was trying to make some adjustments and drifted into a mooring line with my leg. I have a pretty decent red welt-like rash and a scratch where they stung me. I wasn't able to follow any of the protocol with vinegar or hydrogen peroxide and now I am not sure what to do about the rash. How do I know if there are untriggered barbs in it and what can I do to help with the inching and inflammation? I have tried bactroban and hydrocortisone. Where do I go from here? Thanks so much.

I'm in St John and drifted into a mooring line at Waterlemon that was covered with hydroids. My leg rubbed up against it and I have a red itchy rash on my upper quad. I have no idea how to treat it or if there are still untrigged barbs in it. Does anyone have any advice?

Time is about it unfortunately. Keep applying the topicals but other than that, you just have to wait it out. Usually takes 5-7 days for me until the itching stops. My rule after a horrifying 1st time lobster week in the keys - full exposure protection no matter what the temperature is. Try not to touch/bump/graze anything except with your gloved hand - everything wants to sting, bite, poke, etc. Also found out that baggies are completely transparent to fire coral. 1mm neoprene is the minimum

Is there anything to put on it make it stop itching faster? Calamine maybe?

How do I know if the barbs are all dead that went into my leg? I can go to the dermatologist when I get home but im not sure he'll have good answers because this isn't something he'd normally see.

vinegar solution is something we usually keep on the boat but really, you're just going to have to wait it out. The hydrocortisone will help with the swelling/itch but again, it just takes time for the rash to go away. DON'T SCRATCH! It'll only prolong the healing and make it itch worse.

Take over the counter non drowsie Clariton for the itching....

Absolutely ghastly. I empathize. It happens to me on every warm water dive, either by grasping a mooring line that has invisible stinging things draped on it, or when I have the misfortune to swim through the same water column that has invisible stinging things floating about. My buddies are always fine - I'm just very sensitive to them , and my hands (everything else is always covered) blister and burn like a son of a bitch. I have taken to keeping vinegar with me at all times, be it on the boat or with my shore-diving kit. After that, a mix of regular hot-water baths (as hot as you can stand it), Benadryl tablets, and a topical cream work best for me, but it's usually two weeks or so until I'm recovered.

DAN has detailed instructions about treatment - check them out here. DAN | Medical Frequently Asked Questions

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Duplicate threads merged.

Back
Top Bottom