Best months for diving in Kauai and Kona?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Big Island diving has been done in December and July. December trips were complicated with major winter swell events (full contact diving). July trips had much better conditions. Most of the dive folks I've visited with have told me that conditions in the fall months can be exceptional.

-AZTinman

We have more luck taking divers on shore dives in the summer months although most of our guests at sugar cottage (sugar-inc.com) want to get away from the mainland in the winter months. In the winter it pays to keep track of how high the surf is with those northwest swells. 2 Steps is almost always fine for shore dives with more caution needed at other sites on the Kona coast.

We have more luck taking divers on shore dives in the summer months although most of our guests at sugar cottage (sugar-inc.com) want to get away from the mainland in the winter months. In the winter it pays to keep track of how high the surf is with those northwest swells. 2 Steps is almost always fine for shore dives with more caution needed at other sites on the Kona coast.

I read somewhere that part of 2 Steps is taboo and you aren't supposed to walk on that particular part or enter/exit from there. Is this true, and, if so, is it clearly marked?

Last edited:
They call it 2 steps because this is the only place you should enter and exit. You will literally see the steps where most folks will be getting in and out of the water.

If you are looking for calmer water for shore dives, you should dive the Big Island in the summer months although it is still possible to dive in the winter months if you are careful. At sugar cottage (sugar-inc.com) we take folks diving all year around and have the experience to know when the water is safe or not.

I read somewhere that part of 2 Steps is taboo and you aren't supposed to walk on that particular part or enter/exit from there. Is this true, and, if so, is it clearly marked?
You will see admonitions not to snorkel or dive from the National Historic Park next door, but I've never had any trouble with that there. Finding a good entry and exit is another matter...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom