Whaleshark snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from 2 weeks there (plus a week leading a trip to photograph the crocodiles.)
The whale sharks are in great numbers and the water is clear. The seaweed clusters from years past are gone now.
We had great encounters and saw mantas 3 times - that is 3 out of 8 days on the water and they were short encounters.
Like I said: hard to find and no guarantee

I have heard some people advertise a place for a dive called "Manta Valley" or something similar. They take a boat from Cancun. not sure which operator. Still no promises, but maybe it is a cleaning station so visits are regular compared to looking in the whole Gulf.

Have a great trip.

We did this about 10 days ago when the Moon was full, but we did this from Isla Mujeres. It took us about 50 min to get there, but our boat was fast and passed several others. Going from Cancun will take longer. I've seen people puking overboard on other boats and had a crazy idea that this is what actually attracts the sharks (just kidding). But if you are prone to motion sickness, you better take some measures.

We started from the El Cid Marina . A van picked us up at El Cid we drove for about an hour went to a doc where we were fitted with wet suits . And then divided up into groups of 10. Then taken to a boat. Then taken out to the ocean. We were out on the water about 1/2 hour and are boat captain saw the fins and we got in the water . Unfortunately our boat ended up calling other boats in and the sharks dove down underwater . We traveled a little bit farther and were able to get in the water with the whale sharks . 10 or 15 minutes at a time it seemed for two separate chances at seeing the whale shark. The trip cost approximately $200 each . So for approximately one half hour of snorkeling we paid $200 . I am happy that it's off my bucket list.

We started from the El Cid Marina . A van picked us up at El Cid we drove for about an hour went to a doc where we were fitted with wet suits . And then divided up into groups of 10. Then taken to a boat. Then taken out to the ocean. We were out on the water about 1/2 hour and are boat captain saw the fins and we got in the water . Unfortunately our boat ended up calling other boats in and the sharks dove down underwater . We traveled a little bit farther and were able to get in the water with the whale sharks . 10 or 15 minutes at a time it seemed for two separate chances at seeing the whale shark. The trip cost approximately $200 each . So for approximately one half hour of snorkeling we paid $200 . I am happy that it's off my bucket list.
Besides the hassle and steep cost did you enjoyed it?

It was a learning experience. Yes I would do it again. And I would take my own snorkel gear and a couple of different cameras. Also I might just charter a single boat with like minded friends

I just got back for my snorkeling trip, my family (4) and two friends and another family , making a total of 10 (like minded people), as you suggested we took our own gear and a couple of cameras, it was an amazing trip, there were 136 boats, at full capacity and we guessed there were around approximately 70 whale sharks in the area, they give you tres "sessions" of 15 to 20 minutes per pair and a certified tour guide (He helps you . because he is at the lookout for more whale sharks in you vicinity, steering you in the right path). the boat "chase" the whale sharks to drop you at the front of their path and off you go, it is a matter of luck and depending how many boats are in your immediate area disturbing the whale sharks (that is what I didn't like at all, that must be stressful for them) but I was lucky enough to have as much as five individuals near me in one "session" in total I saw 10 or 12 whale sharks up close, it was an amazing experience with those majestic creatures. That said I would minimize the boats in the area per day , maybe charging more , but as I was told not everybody get so lucky sometimes they find 1 or 4 individuals and all the boats chase these, sometimes they find a large school; The day before my trip, they had a lot of manta rays between the whale sharks too. It was an amazing and unforgetable experience

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom