Drysuit squeeze when fin kicking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darren_

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

I'm just after completing my Drysuit training and just purchased a Drysuit. It's an Otter Bitanic with an Otter Artic commercial 200 undersuit.

I'm having some problems with the fin kicks, particularly the frog kick. I find when I try to position myself horizontally and bend my knees to a 45 degree angle and kick, the backs of my knees get squeezed really hard. I can't kick when I get this squeeze as it restricts my movements. I have tried to add more air but it doesn't relieve the squeeze. If I go head down feet up it's stops but obviously this is bad trim. I don't get a squeeze in my feet as iv seen some people mention. This issue I have is with the back of my knees only. Can anyone help ? Or has anyone had this problem and fixed it ? I'm trying to avoid ankle weights and gaiters as I don't want to rely on anything.

P.S. the suit fits me, there is no extra or baggy material in the lower part of the suit. It's actually quiet snug once it goes over the undersuit.

So the problem is you can't bend your legs as much as you want?

Sounds like the suit may be too snug on your legs and it's actually the suit compressing the back of your knees through the tension of the fabric rather than actual squeeze. Try a thinner undersuit or a thermal base layer and see if that resolves the problem.
I personally never found the need to go above a 100 weight undersuit when I had my trilam suit. If it was below 8 deg C I'd just put a compression base layer on under it and keep a bit more air in the suit.

Good to know when buying a drysuit; how do measurements have to change when reaching or flexing for a range of skills? I wonder if the custom fit is measured over your thickest undergarment in most flexed position?

Good to know when buying a drysuit; how do measurements have to change when reaching or flexing for a range of skills? I wonder if the custom fit is measured over your thickest undergarment in most flexed position?

They are not meant to be tight. They are not meant to be like a wetsuit. If you are new to drysuit diving it's probably best to just go to a shop that know what they are doing.

Unless you are very unusual in size - or very carefree with your money, you rarely need a made to measure drysuit. People who advocate them are generally either obese or are people who have brought into the ********.

To the OP, I would suggest that the suit is actually too tight at the back of the knees. Did you try the suit on with the thickest undersuit you would wear and do a few manoeuvres in it such as kneeling etc? The undersuit can make a huge difference.

They are not meant to be tight. They are not meant to be like a wetsuit. If you are new to drysuit diving it's probably best to just go to a shop that know what they are doing.

Unless you are very unusual in size - or very carefree with your money, you rarely need a made to measure drysuit. People who advocate them are generally either obese or are people who have brought into the ********.
Or are like me and not shaped like the vast majority of divers. I have a long body and relatively short legs in relation to my height unlike most people of 6'3 who appear to be the reverse. I tried a number of suits on and needed a custom tailoring of my suit to get it to work.

If you need custom you need custom simple as that.

Since I have so far only done the pool session with the drysuit, I most certainly am new, which is why I am here asking questions. Plus, this "cupcake is sporting some extra buttercream", so your comment about obesity was also a direct hit. Plus my legs are short relative to torso even when at correct weight, and stock sizes of any kind of clothes give me "rumple legs" and "orangutan arms". Expensive as drysuits are, I am determined to get the fit that functions.

Since I have so far only done the pool session with the drysuit, I most certainly am new, which is why I am here asking questions. Plus, this "cupcake is sporting some extra buttercream", so your comment about obesity was also a direct hit. Plus my legs are short relative to torso even when at correct weight, and stock sizes of any kind of clothes give me "rumple legs" and "orangutan arms". Expensive as drysuits are, I am determined to get the fit that functions.
You need a dry suit that fits properly therefore you need to get it fitted. If you are lucky enough to get away with an "off the peg" suit as some can, brilliant. Others, like me and it looks like you, need the made to measure treatment.

BTW I have exactly the same issues with legs and arms - my legs look stumpy compared to the rest of me an my arms hang down like gorillas making a standard sleeve about 2 inches too short. If I was to get a "standard" drysuit I would be having forearm or elbow seals instead of wrist!

Depending on the amount of diving, the type of diving and how well you care for it, the drysuit might last you quite a number of years so, in my mind anyway, it is a purchase that is right to take time over and get right instead of going half measures.

A number of places (over here anyway) now do MTM at the same price or at very small uplift to the "off the peg" anyway. The cost for the suit I went for was exactly the same if it needed altered (which it did) as it would have been unaltered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom