JUST FOR GIRLS: Do you feel creeped out when...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sarahlee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
So - im not a natzi feminist or anything but...

But I really hate when you try and join a "chat board" to gain information and knowledge about a sport you love and guys start hitting on you.

So there is this guy: he "Likes me" then "follows me" and then "sends me a personal email asking me to come dive with him"

OK - any one of those three by themselves doesn't seem to sinister, but all three at once - to me its a little too invasive.

So, am I over reacting ? Have you had any similar experiences?

Id like to hear from you. (just the girls please)

sarah lee

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a shooter in addition to being a diver. I'm a long term member on two large firearms forums where women are a significant minority. If guys start acting creepy, I have no hesitation telling them off, publicly if needed. The mods of both forums don't take the creepiness lightly and will deal with the perps swiftly.

Ignore is your best option. If you feel you're being stalked, you can report PMs and Posts. We'd like to hear about it if there's a problem. We take your privacy and safety seriously, but we rely on you reporting problems as they occur.

I agree that this would make me uncomfortable. Being part of a gender minority in any sport can be difficult. I've faced similar situations outside this board (mostly because I'm a newer board member). I don't just ignore it, block them, or walk away from it. I let them know that their behavior is making me uncomfortable. If you don't, it's likely they'll continue similar behavior with other women. It's also possible they get all defensive and rude, which I then would block/walk away.

I agree that this would make me uncomfortable. Being part of a gender minority in any sport can be difficult. I've faced similar situations outside this board (mostly because I'm a newer board member). I don't just ignore it, block them, or walk away from it. I let them know that their behavior is making me uncomfortable. If you don't, it's likely they'll continue similar behavior with other women. It's also possible they get all defensive and rude, which I then would block/walk away.
THANK YOU!

THANK YOU!

Just stand your ground! Even in a community I consider to be more inclusive than others, there will still be divers who put you down or make you feel uncomfortable as a woman. Even in 2017, it's hard to find scuba gear that isn't pink, purple, or covered with flowers or other "feminine touches." Training manuals still pretty solidly refer to divers as "he/him."

Women divers--we do exist! It's entirely possible this person meant nothing creepy/weird/uncomfortable about the exchange, but just be your own advocate and speak up when something makes you uncomfortable (diving or otherwise). Sometime innocent actions can be perceived otherwise, and it is important that we are vocal (whether it be a man or a woman making someone feel uncomfortable--speak up!). :)

You're calling someone out because he contacts you on a social forum about diving and offers to dive with you?
Wow, that's kind of extreme.
Most people here are looking either for information or for dive buddies so what's wrong with that?

As to the reaction, whatever happened to either ignoring the person or just being polite and saying "no"? And by the way, it's not even "personal email", it's called "conversation" on Scubaboard.
In case you didn't know, there is always someone who first initiates such a conversation.
Too bad for ******** he picked the wrong person, I feel sorry for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
speak up!
Report, report, report! We're here to keep things friendly. More often than not, it's a simple misunderstanding. Let us be your go to people to smooth things over.

it's not even "personal email", it's called "conversation" on Scubaboard.
The only time we'll see a conversation, is when it's reported. Staff is not allowed to invade that privacy without a court order.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom