What regulator should I choose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuneP

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey.

I will start cave diving training next year. So I'm upgrading my equipment. But i do not know which regulator set I will use.? it is going on a twin 12litters and stage.

I have looked at the following. :

Apeks XTX 200 1 stage and XTX 200 2 stage

Scubapro MK25 Evo 1 stage and G260 2 stage

Mares MR52X 1 stage and Fusion 52X 2 stage

Or you may have another suggestion.? Come with a reason, thank. Why your choice falls on this set.

Thanks

Sune P

Now im using ScubaForce 1 stage and 2 stage

Well, the MK25 offers excellent hose routing on a twinset. It is not environmentally sealed though, something you should bear in mind seeing that you're from Denmark and are likely to be diving in cold water.

Any particular reason you're considering the XTX 200?
If not, you'd be better served considering the XTX 50 DST first stage (with the 5th port fitted), and the XTX 50 second stage, over the XTX 200.

Internally, XTX 200 and XTX 50 are the same regulator (the service kits are the same).
But it is much cheaper than the XTX 200 and, with the 5th port fitted, it'll route as well as the MK25.

So, in a nutshell: if you plan any cold water diving, your best option would be the XTX 50 DST 5th port 1st stage + XTX 50 second.
The added benefit (seeing that you will be cave training) is that, should you decide to switch from a twinset to sidemount at some point in the future, the DST + 5th port will again allow for excellent hose routing.

I don't have any personal experience of the MR52X.

Well, the MK25 offers excellent hose routing on a twinset. It is not environmentally sealed though, something you should bear in mind seeing that you're from Denmark and are likely to be diving in cold water.

I mainly dive in cold water here in Denmark -5C to +20C

Any particular reason you're considering the XTX 200?
If not, you'd be better served considering the XTX 50 DST first stage (with the 5th port fitted), and the XTX 50 second stage, over the XTX 200.

Internally, XTX 200 and XTX 50 are the same regulator (the service kits are the same).
But it is much cheaper than the XTX 200 and, with the 5th port fitted, it'll route as well as the MK25.

So, in a nutshell: if you plan any cold water diving, your best option would be the XTX 50 DST 5th port 1st stage + XTX 50 second.
The added benefit (seeing that you will be cave training) is that, should you decide to switch from a twinset to sidemount at some point in the future, the DST + 5th port will again allow for excellent hose routing.

There is no particular reason for this choice. I will try and take a look at this set you are talking about. I can see the benefit of it being environmentally sealed.

If you concentrate on cave diving, you may consider sidemount configuration. In this you can't beat an Apeks sidemount set which consists of XTX 50 regs with DST first stages. Deepstop has it on sale at the moment. Apeks also makes very good sidemount BCD's - WSX 25 and 45.

Hey.

I will start cave diving training next year. So I'm upgrading my equipment. But i do not know which regulator set I will use.? it is going on a twin 12litters and stage.

I have looked at the following. :

Apeks XTX 200 1 stage and XTX 200 2 stage

Scubapro MK25 Evo 1 stage and G260 2 stage

Mares MR52X 1 stage and Fusion 52X 2 stage

Or you may have another suggestion.? Come with a reason, thank. Why your choice falls on this set.

Thanks

Sune P
Have you asked the people who are diving the sites you plan to dive, if they have a preferred regulator which provides optimal performance in those locales? Living in Denmark, I would assume a majority of your diving wouldn't be in America, where most of the users of this forum reside.

There is NOT much difference between the main stream Apeks regs(1st and 2nd).
The only advantage of the 200 series(FSR 1st stage) over its stable mates is the replaceable valve seat. So unless you are buying used then it won't be a concern.
DS4 or DST will save you some Euro but will not sacrifice on performance.
You cannot put the 5th port on DS4 but definitely for DST and FSR. Not sure about FST(100 series) though.As far as I am concern the 100 series sits on a no man land.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom