40lbs double wing with single tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grey Goose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, Looking for folks recommendations on whether I should use my 40lb eclipse doubles wing with a single tank (As a temporary solution for this weekend).

Context is that I'm diving doubles this weekend but have a chance to do a third dive but only with a singles tank and my bp. I brought my sta but forgot the singles wing.

Will the tacoing of the doubles wing when used with a single tank present a safety issue.

Thanks!

the eclipse is a single tank wing, do you mean the evolve?

using a doubles wing with a single tank makes it harder to vent. it isn't undiveable, but you have to be careful.

Usually no, but as a "one off" as long as you are careful, sure.

I've seen it done.

Recommend you don't make it a habit or show up on an unfamiliar dive charter like that though.

More seriously, just be mindful the air will pool oddly and venting can take extra focused attention.

Enjoy the 3rd dive,
Cameron

Well then there's the fact that properly equipped divers will point and laugh.
More seriously you are negating one of the best advantages of a BP+W system, which is streamlining. A 40lb wing is going to be flapping around like a big pair of Dumbo ears, and trapping gas that will be more difficult to vent when you want to do a nice controlled ascent.

The wing is going to be a few inches wider. Not a big deal.

Long before we had 20+ options for wings and harnesses, I bought my first BC, which was a Seatec wing that came w a plastic backpack/harness and had to me modified for use with doubles. That "wing" was somewhere around 32# lift and would "taco" when used with a single tank. , which is what I used for both single and double tank diving for at least my first 100 dives.

Was it optimal? ..No. but it worked well enough. And honestly, with much fewer options available, you did not catch a lot of flak for it. Nobody snickered "taco" behind your back, because the idea of a single tank wing had not really been common.

Dive on with confidence! Worst case, you might have to go nose up a little to make the air push to the top vent.

Back
Top Bottom