An eye opener

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are bang on with that. I have a typhoon and yes it does have a small knot in the stitching and this is what I too believe is the problem. Gonna go with either replacement latex seals or dry gloves and see how I get on.

How old is it? You might be able to get typhoon to replace it free of charge if it's less than a couple of years. If not it shouldn't be more than £30 and more like £20 if whoever is doing it is reasonable.

How old is it? You might be able to get typhoon to replace it free of charge if it's less than a couple of years. If not it shouldn't be more than £30 and more like £20 if whoever is doing it is reasonable.
Its about five years old now so I'll have to pay for it myself but no problem with that. I think I will have a crack replacing the seals myself with dry gloves as I might as well fit a glove system and keep my hands snug too. Any recommendations on which dry gloves to fit? Thanks for replying

I love my Si Tech QCP, but you have to get the replaceable seal system first in order to use this glove system.

I stopped using latex seals as after 90 mins or so of diving my right hand would get numb. Seemed worse the deeper I got. Never figured out why as they were as loose as I could go. Switched to silicone and no issues even after 3+ hours.

I had a similar experience when using EasyDry gloves. They require the undersuit to extend past the normal wrist seals, and then the glove seals layer over the wrist seals. The combo was too tight, and the undersuit was bunched up. By the dive's end, it was hurtin' me but good.

The Northern Diver dry glove system is what I use. Simply fits over the existing wrist seals, although neoprene wrist seals need a ring of aquaseal applying before fitting to create a sealing surface.
They're a little bulkier and inelegant than the sitech or kubi solutions but are significantly cheaper.
Once you have dry gloves the wrist seals don't need to be as snug so you could try stretching the existing wrist seals over beer cans or pop bottles overnight before considering switching out for latex.

So it seems not uncommon for folks to have experienced similar issues. I think my instructor was worried about me being narked and imagining the problem but my mind was crystal clear. Lots of worried faces when I mentioned that my lips were numb and tingling but that was down to a tooth popping out a filling a couple of days before and air getting trapped in the cavity. Not a problem just needed to wriggle my jaw to release the pressure in the tooth but I think a few who overhead thought i was taking a hit. Oh and as I surfaced my computer went into deco for 25hrs (the wife had borrowed it and changed the settings). Total balls up of a weekend. Apparently I passed though. Btw David Holmes was my instructor from christal seas in Norwich. I'd recommend him as a very thorough and conscientious instructor who added plenty of extra tutelage other than the minimum needed. Hope I didn't give him too many gray hairs and nightmares.

So it seems not uncommon for folks to have experienced similar issues. I think my instructor was worried about me being narked and imagining the problem but my mind was crystal clear. Lots of worried faces when I mentioned that my lips were numb and tingling but that was down to a tooth popping out a filling a couple of days before and air getting trapped in the cavity. Not a problem just needed to wriggle my jaw to release the pressure in the tooth but I think a few who overhead thought i was taking a hit. Oh and as I surfaced my computer went into deco for 25hrs (the wife had borrowed it and changed the settings). Total balls up of a weekend. Apparently I passed though. Btw David Holmes was my instructor from christal seas in Norwich. I'd recommend him as a very thorough and conscientious instructor who added plenty of extra tutelage other than the minimum needed. Hope I didn't give him too many gray hairs and nightmares.
A good advert for making sure you check your settings every dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom