A little help for a newly qualified youngster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DMrqwq

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi folks, I've been diving for a good few years - on and off. My 11 year old daughter qualified yesterday as an open water diver - couldn't be prouder.

I committed to her that once through her training and she'd proven the capability and care for kit, that I would purchase her own gear.

The time has come for me to stand up to my commitment and hope you learned folks can advise on my proposed purchase. I'm looking at the cress travelight BCD with Cressi MC5 regs. We dive mostly in the UK - lakes and some sea and are planning on a trip to the US next year where we will likely be diving too. Clearly at the age of 11 I have lots to balance - easy to use, relatively lightweight gear, thats durable, SAFE, and will support her as she develops into a more experienced diver - she hopes to start her junior advanced next year when she hits 12.

Cressi Ladies Travel Light BCD and MC5 XS Compact Regulator Package

I'd welcome any guidance, feedback on the above. Thanks,

Dale

Cressi has a great reputation and I love their first stages. I use them on all my deco bottles. We don't have much of a Cressi presence where I live, so I don't get to try more of their gear. Everything so far has been great! Be sure to take pics of your daughter diving and share them with us!

I just want to say congrats to your diving family! My girl starting Diving same age, although I just buy her accessory for each class she completes. Not she's 18, many classes and dives and I still rent the main kit, but I am looking to buy Freedom back plate and wing for us as soon as the Freedom plate is available.

Thanks Francesea,

Its a big outlay but I personally would feel more comfortable with equipment I have maintained, know its history and she can be confident of. I've seen some horrendous loan kit around the world so having the lifesaving pieces of our own is a big one for me.

I just want to say congrats to your diving family! My girl starting Diving same age, although I just buy her accessory for each class she completes. Not she's 18, many classes and dives and I still rent the main kit, but I am looking to buy Freedom back plate and wing for us as soon as the Freedom plate is available.

The BCD is great for travel. We are vacation divers mostly going to the Caribbean. I have the original model (no removable integrated weight pockets) for about 5ish years, my divebuddy bought hers about 2ish years ago. They are both standing up well and perform well underwater. No complaints. I did modify mine to shorten the cummerbund (I took the cummerbund to a ladies coat tailor).

On a recent LOB trip almost half the BCDs were cressi travel lights (which I thought was a little odd). They are lightweight and pack up very compactly.

I have no experience with Cressi regs.

From a quick look on the Cressi website it looks like the regs are warm water rated which means that they are only certified for use in water that is above 10 degrees C. If you're looking at uk diving then you really need cold water rated regs as only last month I was recording water temps sub-10 in both capernwray and stoney cove.

From a quick look on the Cressi website it looks like the regs are warm water rated which means that they are only certified for use in water that is above 10 degrees C. If you're looking at uk diving then you really need cold water rated regs as only last month I was recording water temps sub-10 in both capernwray and stoney cove.

good point Froggle and thanks for the pointer - something I didn't pick up on - was 10c in Ellerton in April so its a fair point

Since you're going to be doing a lot of UK diving, you may also want to check if that Cressi travel BC would work with heavier exposure protection..

Very cool, congrats. Similar boat here, and we are looking at the Scubapro Litehawk size XS. It's easy, lite, safe, and feels like a good transition to future bp/w configuration. It's not the most durable in the world, but she'll outgrow it before that becomes an issue anyway. It also works with thick exposure/dry suits, which you'll presumably need.

Back
Top Bottom