Dedicated Warm Water Rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried about 7 different backplates before determing which one was the most comfortable for my back without any padding. Every plate is different to some degree regards to angle, corners, etc. For me, the dive rite had the least amount of angle (amost flat) and was the most comfortable. You can also get a backpad for the DR one at DGX if you want more comfort.

I recently switched to a SP Litehawk. Great warm water BC and very comfortable. I also dive with just shorts and a rash guard. Will probably dive it for many years to come as after diving this, I sold my other BC.

I've gone from diving with steel backplate with webbing to soft w/padding (Dive Rite TravelPac). Main reason is travel friendliness, but comfort is better and I do not experience the large difference in 'tightness' that some describe.

Btw. If you look at my gear in profile, this is the warm water gear I've ended up with after much research and trials, very happy with it! :)

Have you actually used one of those wings?

It looks like the cam band slots in the wing are just wide enough for 2" wide cam bands. So, if your BP has 2" wide slots, you could potentially be screwed. You would need to line up the slots on the wing and BP, for the cam bands to fit through both. But then, if your screw holes on the wing don't line up with screw holes on the BP, you don't have any way to attach the wing to the BP. Of course, that is not required, but it sure is convenient. Also, it means that if you wanted to move the wing up or down on the BP to adjust trim, you would not be able to.

I use the Hog 23 and the cam band slots are much wider, so there is no issue with having to line up precisely with BP slots, or with lining up holes to use sex bolts to attach the wing to the BP, or with being able to adjust the wing position on the plate to adjust trim.

If I were going to leave a rig at a beach house and only use it in board shorts and a rash guard, I would probably get the Aqualung Outlaw, with the 12# wing. There is no wing for a BP that I know of that is that small/streamlined. I think DSS has a 12# wing but explicitly says that it is only for scootering and not for use with a backmount cylinder. I think.

With only board shorts and an AL80, 12# of lift should be plenty. Even with a 100, it should be enough - as long as you make sure your weighting is dialed in pretty well.

I use the Oxycheq fabric plate while traveling and a SS BP at home. I don't notice any difference in tank movement. Both setups use an Oxycheq wing with "roll control." I dive steel tanks at home and aluminium on the road.

I tried about 7 different backplates before determing which one was the most comfortable for my back without any padding. Every plate is different to some degree regards to angle, corners, etc. For me, the dive rite had the least amount of angle (amost flat) and was the most comfortable. You can also get a backpad for the DR one at DGX if you want more comfort.
Same here. I have a regular steel Dive Rite backplate for diving cold home waters, and a Dive Rite lightweight steel backplate for warm water diving. Both dive exactly the same, the only difference being the weight

So... I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a Zeagle Express Tech deluxe... The open box deal from scuba.com is pretty compelling for $225. Anyone familiar with this bc? Such a great deal, I'm a little skeptical.

Also, an Oxycheq 18lb wing is almost comically small. I can fully inflate it and you can't see it from the front.

The Aqualung Outlaw looks interesting from a small, streamlined point-of-view, but I'd have to take a hot knife and cut off all that stupid crap that's on there.

I bought the Express Tech from the same vendor and it is great especially for that price. I stripped off all the padding and replaced the webbing with much stiffer webbing. Also I added a crotch strap and metal buckle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom