Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi all, please excuse the anonymous nature of this post. I am a regular member but looking not to be identified.

I am currently working for a company whose policy is not to visually inspect their cylinders annually. I am a fairly new employee and cannot understand why no one else cares that this is not being done. There are no visual inspection stickers on the cylinders whatsoever.

The cylinders are not overly well cared for, often dropped, occasionally falling off a truck, the ones used in the pool never have their boots taken off, the cylinders are not cleaned of salt water after diving and are filled in situ on the boat mostly so sit out in the scorching heat and sunlight for most of their time. Some are completely empty after diving.

I am a new Instructor and am confused as to why all my training says one thing and this company does another. I am looking for any input in this situation. I don't really feel safe right now filling the cylinders or breathing from them. Am I totally over reacting?

Thanks in advance for your input.

How often are the cylinders hydro tested?

In the U.K. visual is 2.5 years, with hydro every 5. We don't have stickers, but the tanks get stamped with the test centre's code.

I know this will sound a bit harsh, but bottom line if your not happy or feeling unsafe, find another employer.

What is the service regime like on the rental reg fleet, the boat and the compressor? The maintenance culture speaks volumes about an operation.

Thanks, the tanks get hydro every five years. I don't know where to find the local laws regarding this on a random Caribbean Island. Maybe there is not one, therefor that is why they do not do it.

I just don't know how big a deal it really is and therefor cannot adequately gauge how safe breathing from these tanks day in day out are. Am I just completely over reacting or am I right to be concerned?

What is the service regime like on the rental reg fleet, the boat and the compressor? The maintenance culture speaks volumes about an operation.

From what I have seen...

The regs get fixed when they really need it. Otherwise they barely get washed between dives. The phrase "Little bubbles, no troubles" is one that unfortunately gets used and sends shivers down my spine every time hear it.

The boat seems well maintained, as does the compressor, however my knowledge of this side is still building so I could not honestly say as I don't have the knowledge to make such statements with certainty.

Here in Italy first hydro test is after 4 years, then every 2 years.
I suppose that, even if abused or ill-treated, cylinders are less critical than valves...

i'd be uncomfortable, that's for sure.

there is no VIP requirement by any agency in the US to my knowledge, it is an industry standard that stems from improper filling or tanks that get brought back truly empty, both of which allow water to enter the cylinder. Particularly problematic on steel tanks, much less so on aluminums.

I can tell you that in cave country, most cylinders don't get a vip unless they are brought in properly empty *i.e. emergency condition*. As long as the fill stations are properly blowing off the valves, there is no real need to do it.

On an island where you are dealing with questionable operators, questionable divers, and high probability of moisture getting into the tanks, it isn't a bad idea to take the valve off and perform a cursory VIP. Doesn't have to be super in depth, no stickers required, just take the valve off and make sure nothing looks off.

Thanks, the tanks get hydro every five years. I don't know where to find the local laws regarding this on a random Caribbean Island. Maybe there is not one, therefor that is why they do not do it.

I just don't know how big a deal it really is and therefor cannot adequately gauge how safe breathing from these tanks day in day out are. Am I just completely over reacting or am I right to be concerned?
I have never seen a VIP sticker in the Caribbean. Your description matches every Caribbean dive operation I have ever used.

The sticker is only there to prove to "someone else" that YOUR tank is okay for them to fill. Does your dive op fill any tanks they do not own? Maybe the tanks are getting inspected regularly, but no need for a sticker since the shop owns every tank it fills?

I agree with @Edward3c, if you don't feel safe move on, it's like thumbing a dive.

If you need the job, document what is actually going on and find a way to upgrade the procedures that are used, without adversely affecting the bottom line then talk to the owner. Most divers want to be safe and if changes made could be advertised to draw more business you might help everyone. Or be looking for work.

Good luck

Bob

Back
Top Bottom