Best months for diving in Kauai and Kona?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tep

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm really planning ahead here - for 2018!

I have a timeshare on Kauai for 2018. I can usually pick the week, as long as I book early in the year. That's a "free" week at Princeville. We've been doing this for at least 10 years (every other year). I've dove most of the spots on Kauai, with special thanks to Fathom Five, who have always provided a first class experience.

Next year, we're going to add at least one week, maybe 2 onto the regular trip. Kona is the second week, guaranteed. I've dove there twice (not recently) with Jack's Dive Locker. My son and I were skunked on the Manta dive, and this time I'm going to go every night until I see mantas :)

If we do a third week, it will likely be Maui, but that's not as important.

So, I'm planning very far ahead - all I have to do at this point is pick the best month for diving. What are the 2 or 3 best months for the best weather for diving in Hawaii?

Aloha!
You can pretty much come at any time to Hawaii and have a great trip. Definitely certain times of the year offers different conditions/dive sites/HUMPBACKS!

As for Kauai, there are a bunch of sites we("Explore Kauai Scuba") are offering that Fathom doesn't get to. While Fathom is a GREAT dive shop, we are leaving from the west side of the island offering dives where others don't go usually because boat travel time is to much. By car, it is only about 20-25 minute drive west of Koloa/Poipu area. We are the closest harbor to "Mana Crack", "Na Pali Coast", and even "Niihau/Lehua". We're doing this to open up a different corner of the island to offer new sites.

If you come January/February you have a good chance of seeing humpbacks from the boat, and if you're quite lucky, maybe even one during a dive! March can even be decent for humpbacks too. A month or 2 before/after those months they're usually some hanging around but a little more shy. During these months we frequent the southwest and west side sites.

In the summer months when north swells have gone away, we love to dive Mana Crack and the Na Pali Coast along the northwest side of the island. We'll still dive there during the winter if the swells are down. Also, with advanced divers and if winds are down, we'll do Niihau dives as well. To avoid the busy summer, May-early June & late August-September are great summer conditions with less crowds.

We are a newer dive shop with almost 2 years under our belt and our passion is alive and thriving! We are focused on giving quality dives and only book 1 tour a day to not be rushed back in for an afternoon charter. We are a 6 pack operation and if we do cross to Niihau, we only take 4 divers to keep things comfortable.

As for KONA - Have you tried "Kona Honu Divers"? I keep hearing nothing but great things about their operation. When I talked to them I can tell they're doing this for the lifestyle too! Our Hawaiian waters are so unique and we love to nerd out on the wildlife here!

Thanks for the great ideas and new options for Kauai. Sadly, our timeshare/base is at Princeville, so the west side is even farther around :-( . It might be worth it though, as I've often heard that there are some great sites out there, but no one was going there. Good luck and hopefully we'll see you next trip.

A small group boat to Niihau sounds interesting.

I know that we were on Kauai in November one year and December another. The north shores (Tunnels) and similar were pretty much un-divable, and even in-snorkelable, which is saying something.

It sounds like as long as we're diving a west or south side that any month is A-OK, so that helps a lot.

Thanks!

Water temps drop in Feb/Mar. Have never been to Kona in the summer, but Nov - Apr have generally been nice months. Kona is somewhat shielded by Maui from the winter swells so may not be as subject to winter down days. I spent a week in Princeville one winter and was able to shore dive Tunnels several days (no charters up there that time of year). There can be stretches of calm seas in winter, but summer may offer better odds overall for any island, as there aren't many spots truly immune to the winter swells.

with Jack's Dive Locker. My son and I were skunked on the Manta dive, and this time I'm going to go every night until I see mantas :)

You've been there a lot more than I have but I did the Manta Dive in March last year and it was very good. I talked to Jack and was thinking about going with him next time but now you have given me doubts... Did he give you a price break on the next manta dives?

Also, I went to Maui in late November/Early December and it was also good but that was in 2013.

Kauai's winter months are pretty fantastic for the Humpback whales without question. Topside viewing is amazing and underwater it's incredible to hear them sing and vocalize. Over the last 5 years underwater encounters are also becoming more common (though still rare). Cooler temps will likely have you desiring 5mm wetsuits as a minimum in winter months. As mentioned - north shore diving is unlikely to be possible during winter as well.
As for summer the water is 8 or so degrees warmer. Depending on the individual - 3mm suits are fine for many. If Niihau is a priority then you should certainly come in summer. On rare occasion you can cross in winter months though it's no guarantee. Crossing in winter also minimizes or even eliminates your chance at diving with the critically endangered monk seal - which is the primary draw of this trip for many (summer trips are loaded with opportunities for encounters). If possible I would go with a shop closest to Niihau to minimize the often ROUGH return. While shops on the south shore may be closer, the extra drive time is well worth missing the beating on the way home. At the same time Seasport divers has the biggest and most comfortable boat for channel crossings as a third option.
Koloa Landing (Whalers Cove) is an incredible not to be missed dive on the south shore. It's an amazing turtle habitat that also boasts some of the rarest critters that you can see diving in Hawaii. It's shallow and ensures really long bottom times. Get an experienced guide and you'll be blown away. Tunnels on the north shore is an option as well as long as divers don't expect a lot of critters or good visibility. It's the lowest vis' dive on the island and gets tons of diver traffic. At the same time it does have cool topography with about a dozen lava tubes/formations.
On Kona I highly highly highly suggest that you check out WHOA (Wild Hawaiian Ocean Adventures)! It's not a dive - but an unreal ocean snorkel adventure. I would NEVER visit without doing it. Check out their Facebook page and you'll see why. I've never had a someone go that wasn't blown away. Common encounters include sharks, mantas, pilot whales and more!! Diving I would suggest getting in a boat with Corine at Big Island Divers. She was fantastic on the two trips I have done with her.
Maui has 2 must do shore dives that can rival many boat experiences. Mala Wharf (old pier wreckage) and Makena Landing (lava archways and tubes). PM me for more details if interested.

+1 recommendation for Corrine @Big Island Divers. She has been doing the long range charters this year, and a few local boats. She's an expert at finding and identifying small critters, nudies, etc.

You've been there a lot more than I have but I did the Manta Dive in March last year and it was very good. I talked to Jack and was thinking about going with him next time but now you have given me doubts... Did he give you a price break on the next manta dives?

Also, I went to Maui in late November/Early December and it was also good but that was in 2013.

I seem to recall there was something, but I don't recall. It was over 10 years ago

We went in October and used Bubbles Below. At the time Bubbles Below was the only dive charter willing to do a daily call to go to Ni'ihau instead of the dive charters that simply had a no-go policy between certain dates. This may have changed since I was there in 2013. That being said Ni'ihau remains some of the best diving I have ever done, the Na'pali coast was also stunning. Both of those dive sites are well worth the premium.

We saw monk seals among other things, and relatively mild crossings, the way back was always worse however.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom