Cleaning battery compartment in my Petrel.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kr2y5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does baking soda to neutralize electrolyte spill seem like a good idea? The compartment looks sealed, but what do I know.

Why not ask Shearwater what to do?

Just a regular Duracell battery, but I took a long break from diving, it's been pickling there for 9 long months, weeping electrolyte tears in solitude. The leak was minimal, though, walls of the compartment slightly wet in the front, although I would expect some electrolyte gas condensation deeper (not that I know anything about chemistry). I wiped it out, and just debating whether it deserves a more thorough treatment.

I asked the same question before. The battery compartment is not isolated. IIRC it can handle moisture but not submersion.

Ha! In that case, I must tread carefully. Thanks. What did you end up doing with yours, assuming you've faced a similar predicament before?

Ha! In that case, I must tread carefully. Thanks. What did you end up doing with yours, assuming you've faced a similar predicament before?
it was just a question I asked before buying the Petrel when It was just introduced. I was wondering whether the battery compartment was isolated like the puck style Suuntos.

it was just a question I asked before buying the Petrel when It was just introduced. I was wondering whether the battery compartment was isolated like the puck style Suuntos.

Thanks.

Does baking soda to neutralize electrolyte spill seem like a good idea? The compartment looks sealed, but what do I know.
We recommend service at our US service center. Please send an email to our info@shearwater.com email address and we will put you in touch with the service center.

The leaking substance is potassium hydroxide, a strong alkaline (alkaline battery....get it?). Use acid/vinegar to neutralize that, and clean corrosion.
Why Do Batteries Leak?

If the mess isn't too bad, and the contacts are not very corroded you could possibly go after it with Q-tips or a small toothbrush (some kind of appropriately sized brush), just....barely....wetted with vinegar. Work carefully, possibly upside down so liquid can't pool in the bottom. Finish with a weak bicarb solution cleaning (neutralize the acid), then a fresh water cleaning.
How Do I Clean Battery Acid Leakage in a Remote?
If you don't want to take it on, you have the offer above.

As you know now, don't leave alkaleaks in a device for a long time (I've grown to hate them, does it show?). FWIW, a rechargeable NiMh eneloop will do as well (30 vs 35 hours) and has no chance of leaking, plus you can recharge it. Excellent battery!
What type of batteries can I use in the Petrel? - Shearwater Research

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom