Diver dies near Vashon Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rachelscott51

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just heard on the news that a diver died just south of Vashon Island today. He was diving off a boat named Sampan. Anyone have any news?

This story has been on the news, so I can only tell you what they said.... supposedly the diver surfaced and was last seen clutching his chest. They said heart attack. Then again, they also called a regulator a "respirator"... so that goes to show you just how accurate it is... but at least it was something that did happen. Thats all I know.......

Also, his family and friends will be in my thoughts and prayers no matter what happened.

My wife was going out on another boat as that one arrived, with the Tacoma FD waiting. They immediately began first aid/CPR. The dive was at Dalco wall. The diver was seen clutching at his chest in 110'ft of water. He then went unconscious, and was brought up by other divers. He was with a group of divers who came up from Oregon to dive. I met all these guys working at the DUI Demo Days, at OR Coast Aquaruium just last month. My condolences go out them as well as his family. Initial info supports a heart attack. The diver was significantly over-weight. A tragedy none the less.

I have absolute respect for the family and the lose.

I was wondering if anybody may know what kind of seals did he have.? Latex or tuck ?

As I was talking with someone the other day about the tightness around the throat and how that will induce certain action in the body. There is no disrespect just asking.

Cheers
Derek

My condolences to the family as well.

I read that someplace also.. somehow tight neck seals causes the heart to pump harder because of restricted blood flow to the head. It seems to me that someone at Gilboa (local quarry) had a heart problem and the suspected cause was a neck seal that was too tight.

I'd really, REALLY like to know more about how and why that can cause a problem. And.. how does one know if it's too tight?

wolf eel:
I have absolute respect for the family and the lose.

I was wondering if anybody may know what kind of seals did he have.? Latex or tuck ?

As I was talking with someone the other day about the tightness around the throat and how that will induce certain action in the body. There is no disrespect just asking.

Cheers
Derek

Restrictions in neck seals causes what called Carotid Sinus Reflex.
Can cause you to black out.

Read the following (www.deepocean.net)

Blood pressure is monitored by receptors called the carotid-sinus receptors, which are located in the carotid arteries. The carotid arteries branch up from each side of the neck, leading to the brain. If blood pressure is high, the carotid-sinus receptors signal the cardioinhibitory center in the brain, which slow down the heart rate and causes vasodilatation (widening of the blood vessels). Low blood pressure stops the signaling of the cardioinhibitory center and heart rate goes up again.

Problems may occur if a divers suit or other equipment is to tight around the neck. The resulting pressure may incorrectly be interpreted by the carotid-sinus receptors as high blood pressure, resulting in a stimulation of the cardioinhibitory centers and a lowering heart rate. Less blood flows to the brain. Since the pressure persists, less blood keeps flowing to the brain. Symptoms are discomfort, light-headedness and eventually loss of consciousness.

My thoughts with his family.

SF

[Scuba_freak Restrictions in neck seals causes what called Carotid Sinus Reflex.
Can cause you to black out.

Read the following (www.deepocean.net)

Blood pressure is monitored by receptors called the carotid-sinus receptors, which are located in the carotid arteries. The carotid arteries branch up from each side of the neck, leading to the brain. If blood pressure is high, the carotid-sinus receptors signal the cardioinhibitory center in the brain, which slow down the heart rate and causes vasodilatation (widening of the blood vessels). Low blood pressure stops the signaling of the cardioinhibitory center and heart rate goes up again.

Problems may occur if a divers suit or other equipment is to tight around the neck. The resulting pressure may incorrectly be interpreted by the carotid-sinus receptors as high blood pressure, resulting in a stimulation of the cardioinhibitory centers and a lowering heart rate. Less blood flows to the brain. Since the pressure persists, less blood keeps flowing to the brain. Symptoms are discomfort, light-headedness and eventually loss of consciousness.

My thoughts with his family.

SF]

This could be a problem. Iam looking into wether or not we have had an increase in heart attacks since latex seals have been main stream ?

Just a thought. Again my heart goes out to the family.
Derek

Scuba_freak:
This sounds like a serious problem. However, if the diver did clutch his chest or heart at depth (and 110' is deep) it sounds to me more like the problem was either his heart, and/or his lungs directly rather than indirectly. Having seen deaths offshore (too many), it sounds like a cliche when you describe the typical heart attack victim but they are generally overweight, and generally smokers. The first symptoms of a heart attack often manifest as "indigestion" - something commonly found by over-eaters. These are minor warning attacks. The major attack can quickly cause loss of concious.

My condolences to his family, friends & acquaintances.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom