PADI 5 Star Dive Center at Robert's Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrl5549

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Has anyone dove with this group?
I am planning on staying at Roberts Grove for a week. Should I dive with there inhouse dive shop or is there a much better place? Also, My GF is going to learn while we are down there any one have advice about what she should bring vs buy there

I do not know that resort, I did not see much discussion of gear on the site. I dove in San Pedro recently, many rented there, at the shop I dove with I did not see any discussion of buying gear there. I brought all my own gear, which was 42 lb. of gear, that might be a bit much for a first time diver to carry home from Belize, granted some of that was a 5mm suit plus about 12 lb. for my steel backplate and attached lead.

I would absolutely bring her own mask that she knows fits her well, also maybe fins and snorkel. She might rent the rest at the resort or in the states. I think her gear purchase (and rental) options will be better and broader in the states. The water is fairly warm, so the exact right wetsuit is no so critical. Regulators are often an early purchase.

If the plan was to buy scuba gear at this resort and fly it back, a bettor option might be to rent locally in Texas for the week of the trip and use that experience to decide on what to buy after the trip.

I believe (but do not know) the resort operation at Roberts Grove is mostly a rental operation who seem to be an Oceanic dealer only. There's a little info on padi.com in the dive center locator. They likely keep boat(s) at the marina so it would be more convenient for diving.

I believe Splash Dive in Placencia is the only retail scuba store in the area.
Our new Dive Center and retail store at the Peninsular Club Marina at the north end of Placencia opened in early 2011. This facility, the only scuba retail store in the southern half of Belize, contains a full line of scuba and snorkel equipment, cameras, diving accessories and PADI materials. We have 5 custom designed dive boats, including a 46 foot Newton dive boat and our fishing boat at the marina.
Boats, Accommodation & Amenities | Splash Dive Center | Placencia Belize

Some friends dove with Splash a few years ago and liked them but they were staying in town and not at Roberts Grove.

San Pedro is on Ambergris Caye hours to the north so not going to do you much good.

Definitely get the g/f fitted for personal gear (mask/fins etc.) b4 you go as you want it to fit so she doesn't have issues while learning.

Last edited:
We stayed at Roberts Grove a few years ago, my wife & I. At that time there was no dive shop on the premises. That may have changed though and as it says above if they have dive boats, they must be on the leeward side of the peninsula at the marina (across the road) and not on the resort side (windward). I had to drive back & forth into the village to go to a dive shop. Highly recommend Splash Dive also, best shop there.

I just returned from diving with Splash for two weeks. Roberts Grove has an in-house dive op on the lagoon side where you get gas. I think it depends on the number of divers they have staying there at any one time as to whether or not they'll take you diving. If there are enough divers (don't know the magic number), then they'll send out a boat. If not, then the best alternative is Splash as they pride themselves on going out every day, weather permitting of course. They'll also provide transportation back and forth to RG, about a ten minute drive.

Come to think of it, I don't think I saw an RG boat out on the cayes during my stay, so they may not be up and running right now since it's the slow season.

There are a couple of dive ops in the village, but Splash is by far my favorite.

The tariffs in Belize make buying gear there difficult. Not only is there a very small selection, but the prices are likely to be twice what they are in the states. Very few shops in the country inventory any serious gear because of the tariffs. Rent at home and buy gear later. Bring a good mask and fins. If she is cold sensitive, bring a well fitting 3mm or less wetsuit. I very rarely wear a wetsuit in Belize.

Most people buy their BCDs and regs the US rather than Belize, even though we sell at MRSP. The question is should you bring your gear or rent. One consideration is cost of rental vs extra luggage cost on the airline and convenience. As a mimimum, I recommend bringing your own mask. Our rental fins are the same ones that local fishermen used to dive for lobsters so you can be sure they are effective.
Regards
Ralph
The tariffs in Belize make buying gear there difficult. Not only is there a very small selection, but the prices are likely to be twice what they are in the states. Very few shops in the country inventory any serious gear because of the tariffs. Rent at home and buy gear later. Bring a good mask and fins. If she is cold sensitive, bring a well fitting 3mm or less wetsuit. I very rarely wear a wetsuit in Belize.

Thank you all for your responses. I d know general things to buy. I was looking for any info anyone had form that dive shop. I think we got her all squared away. We are leaving Friday I will let you all know how the resort is. How my GF likes diving. How i liked Belize.
My guess is she will want to get a camera and take pictures of all the creatures right away. her DM and I will have to get her to go a little slow until she is more comfortable

I dove with Roberts Grove in 2011. They had a big boat that went out on the marina side but I plan on diving with Splash when I go down in Sept. If your gf is a new diver I'd hold off on buying a lot of gear until she's had a chance to get comfortable and check a few things out. (And make sure she catches the dive bug) My husband on the other hand, didn't fully feel comfortable until he had his own gear. Roberts Grove had all the basics available to rent. A mask, booties and fins with spring straps would be my basics to buy. The water temp is warm enough that I don't bother with a wet suit down there. And I'd suggest holding off on a camera until she gets a bit of experience. There's always someone diving that will usually share some photos with you or many of the dive operations send their own people along to film the dive. Seasoned divers can get distracted with their cameras a noob could be a mess

Thank you all!
Roberts Grove's dive shop was shut down for the slow season.
We dove with Seahorse. They are all the way at the end of Placencia (sp). I feel very lucky we dove with Seahorse they were amazing. The DI was very slow with my GF. It took her a few dives to relax and be able to process all the new input and mouth breathing. We made 8 dives in 4 days and saw some really great stuff. The Harry was my DM and he was super cool. I can not say enough about Sea Horse great dive shop.

No I did not think my GF as a new diver would need a camera. I need a new one but she is still getting all the dive process synced together. But with Seahorse ( I can not remember her Instructors name, cause I am terrible with names) and all she is hooked on diving.

Belize is a great place. I am also not a great dive report guy. the reef looked good Seahorse is always willing to take you lion fish hunting. I love watching soft coral wave in the tide and there was so much to see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom