1st trip to Bonaire! Lots of questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlawr3

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello! I just bought tickets to Bonaire!!! It sounds incredible - we are going next month for a week! I really need advice though. I'm taking my 11 year old daughter, who will be getting her OW locally right before we go. She loves swimming and fish and did a scuba camp last summer and really liked it. Otherwise she's really only snorkeled a few times and did alright. I have 100+ dives myself, but only a handful in the last 15 years. I'm excited but nervous having her as a dive buddy, and definitely want a guide/instructor with us on our first few dives, at least. Then I think we'll be ok with small groups or easy shallow dives on our own, or just snorkeling. I'm nervous about our ears. Last year I messed up my ears and had to abort a trip. And she has complaints after a lot of swimming.

*What dive shop should we use for personal attention and small groups ?

*Where should we stay? Do we choose a resort that has a good house reef? Or how important is it having easy access? We basically just want a safe quiet room with a pool, frig and microwave. Walking distance to a grocery or restaurants would be helpful. And my daughter would really love it if pets or friendly animals or kids were on site.

*Am I ok not renting a truck/car? Since we're diving most days with a guide can they get us where we want to go? Or, should I rent for a couple days on non diving days? Or just take taxis? Is a car ok for basic sightseeing like to the donkey sanctuary? We'd also like to do the cave snorkel, and/or kayak, but I think they will do a pick up for those.

Originally I was thinking Carib Inn, for the lodging and shop. But I am also considering splitting the week between either of these 2 hotels, (or a whole other place altogether?) one a cheaper, nice small boutique hotel a couple blocks from the water, which has a great breakfast and pool, or else the Marriott for points. Both seem close enough to Dive Friends which I hear is really good also. There's a discount through Expedia for these rooms, it would save a bit a night over the other lodging I've looked at. It's also a nice splurgey bed and tv and fancy pool, my daughters's dream vacation, for our first and last nights, plus we'll get points. Is it silly to change hotels when we're only there for a week? I figure it sorta makes it 2 vacations before we have to get back to our busy, real lives.

As for equipment, we have snorkel gear and will upgrade to scuba. She needs fins for her class and good booties for this trip. My fins don't fit booties so I need new ones too, plus the booties. We currently wear the same size shoes but she's definitely growing. Whatever we buy now will only fit for this year (Except the boots which could be handed down to me). She needs a wetsuit and rash guard. So should we buy quality or cheap equipment, or rent, or is there used gear anywhere. I'm starting to feel broke already, not even considering other gear. Maybe dive lights?

Would love your recommendations and advice. Are there any other tips for this first time to bonaire, and/or to a new (hopefully lifelong) diver?

Thanks so much! D

We will also be there next month with our 11 and 14 year olds. They are doing online courses at home and checkout dives in Bonaire. This will be our second trip and their first. We are staying at Buddy Dive again. Staying somewhere like that with a house reef might help your confidence some in that you and your daughter can take things as they go; get in and get out as you please with the "comforts" of your resort nearby. A truck is pretty much required if you want to drive to other sites. Personally, I wouldn't pass up that opportunity but I know there are folks that do nothing but house reef and boat dives. To each their own, that's what Bonaire is all about. I'm sure you will have a blast!

Check out VIP Diving--they came into being to serve you and your daughter!
Another enthusiastic YES for VIP Diving. You can go in guided dives or just get tanks and gear. Drop them a line if you get a chance :)

I second the VIP Diving. While I haven't used them in the past, we are this time and everything I've read and all the communication with them so far has been great. They do seem to cater to just what you're looking for on their guided dives. again, I haven't dove with them yet - but will next month on a couple of night dives.

My wife and I took our son to Bonaire back in 2009 or 2010 and all we did was boat diving and the house reef with our dive club at Divi. He had just turned 11 or so and made Jr. Masterdiver shortly before that trip. I think that was also the nearing the end of his diving - got "bored" with it (or more interested in video games and girls). We're hoping now that he's 20 he'll decide to get back into it. I just mention it because you were talking about dive gear and her out growing it.

I rented a townhouse thru vbro - something to look at (house rentals) vs. the hotel scene; but your chances of needing a vehicle go up as they aren't all near town.

If you're there the between of 8 July and 15th, I might see you there.

You might want to consider the Hamlet Oasis Accomodation Bonaire Apartments: Holiday Rentals, Diving Bonaire Vacation Home for accommodations. Very reasonably priced and has a nice swimming pool. Additionally, it is located adjacent to the Dive Friends located at the Hamlet Oasis location and is just steps to the water and a really great dive site (The Cliff). Dive Friends can meet all of your diving needs. I personally would not want to switch hotels mid trip. Too much work and hassle. Also, I would not consider being without a vehicle on Bonaire. You will need it when you decide to venture out on your own to shore dive after getting acclimated to diving with your daughter and a dive guide/DM/Instructor. Lastly, there is a grocery store across the street and walking distance from Hamlet Oasis-- Dive Friends Bonaire - Best Bonaire Diving and Services

I am a great fan of Dive Friends and they do a really super job at helping people of all age's and dive numbers... But, I think staying at a place like buddy dive or captain don's would work nice for you.. I know a few of the people that work at VIP divers and you couldn't ask for a better place to dive with.. They pick you up, handle any gear you need help with and you'll have help in and out of the water.. The house reefs are really nice and easy to dive.. As far as renting a car/truck... You could rent one right at buddy's for a day to go site seeing... Have fun.. Bonaire is a wonderful place.. I'm headed down for 8 weeks in September... I love it that much...

Jim..

I have stayed at buddydive and captain dons

Between those two I would pick Buddydive for certain. In fact, my daughters second big dive trip was when she was 12 to Buddydive.

1. There are two cool pools - one is right by a bar, so she can swim you can have a beverage
2. There are cats everywhere, at least when I was there.
3. There was a smallish, but she liked the jungle gym
4. You have to have a house reef, even the easiest entrances (pink beach), can get some swell, she dived it but it worried her some.
5. The house reef is perfect for kids at Buddydive, they have the coral restoration in like 20ft of water. I used this for easing my kid into going down. We dived deeper later, but for a check out dive, we got to see cool stuff. (think Christmas trees of coral)
6. there is a grocery store in walking distance, cant remember the name, think it was Korean.
7. There is actually a workout place for you in walking distance if you want to.
8. Captain Don's dive masters are kinda gruff, professional but gruff, buddy dive was much more personable which I have found important with my daughter.

9. The breakfast at buddydive was slightly better and had several restaurants on site.
10. I believe between two buns is in walking distance (actually it is a bit of hike, but you can do it, I had a car)
11. Definitely take lights, snorkeling you get to see some awesome tarpon darting around using your light to nail fish. My daughter was not ready for a night dive but enjoyed snorkeling.
12. And lastly at BuddyDive, there was a jumping place at the wall all the kids would go to and jump in the water from like 6 feet above, it was a daily SI hit.

JJ

I loved my time spent with vip diving... We'll be using them for our air fills this coming September....

Never dove with VIP, but had many customers sharing their great experience with VIP............

Back
Top Bottom