OTS Guardian FFM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andy,

Just took a look at the Spectrum, nice. A few questions- I see it is communication compatible, is that for hardwire comms or just wireless? Any public safety dive teams using them? The reason I ask is I currently use an Interspro AGA and have had difficulty getting a seal since I lost some weight. Was thinking about getting the Guardian but the Spectrum really interests me. I plan on using it for public safety diving only. Thanks in advance.
Hi Resqdivemedic,

Both hardwire and wireless communications are possible with the Spectrum FFM as it uses the same Ear-Mic assemblies and Buddy Phones as a Guardian / Stealth FFM. The AGA PTT assembly is different from the Spectrum, so you would need to purchase a new Ear-Mic Assembly / Buddy Phone (if you already have one).

As the Spectrum / Guardian / Stealth all have double seal skirts, I have a feeling any one of those masks should fit you great!

If you have any other questions, please let me know!

Andy,
Thanks for the info. Would you know of any shop in the Rhode Island area that has one to check out?
We have a number of dealers in the Rhode Island area, but I can't give you a firm answer if one of the dealers would have the item to try as we do not keep records of dealers stock and we have orders coming in / going out so often. Because the product is so new and is not a required item for new dealers (yet), most dealers who are currently purchasing them are selling them because they have a customer order.

Anyway -- My suggestion is that if you'd like to try one out, head to your local OTS dealer and let them know you are interested in a demo of the Spectrum. You can let them know to contact myself and we will work out a way to get a mask to the dealer so that you can try it out.

Do you have a specific shop that you are working with?

I work with Kalipso in Smithfield RI but I can venture out if needed. Not sure if they are an OTS dealer.
Resqdivemedic,

Unfortunately Kalipso Dive Shop is not an active dealer of our products. However, there are a few dealers that are close to you. The closest one is :

Anderson Ski & Dive Center in East Greenwich
5865 POST ROAD, EAST GREENWICH, RI, 02818
Phone: (401) 884-1310

If you'd like to see the other dive shops in your area, please visit our Dealer Locator here : Dealer Locator | Ocean Technology Systems -- just punch in your zip code and it will bring up dive shops in your area.

If you have any trouble or need to be referred to another shop for any reason, please let me know and we'll get you taken care of.

Cheers.

As a follow up, I finally took a look at the Spectrum. Very impressed. I really want to test it out before I take the plunge. I want to see what the balance of the regulator is once it is mounted in the mask. I have used the EXO 26 and found it to pull my head forward. This mask didn't seem as heavy overall but it did not have the regulator in it.

If anyone else has the problem with the equalization blocks, OTS is sending me a kit that pushes the wire further away from the mask. Don't need to bend the wire or anything, it's just plastic blocks (with included longer screws) that the existing wire sit on. I have the same problem so I ordered them, but I've recently discovered that I don't need the blocks because I can consistently equalize by swallowing. I'll install them anyways, just in case, but it's kinda nice knowing I don't need to push the mask into my face and I can just equalize at will with a FFM.

The Spectrum looks like it could be a good solution to a couple of issues with the Guardian. Equalization will be just like a standard mask and reg and easier for creatures of habit to adapt to. High performance regs capable of meeting demands of extreme work loads at depth can be used. I know the Stealth is supposed to address it to some extent, but there hasn't been much real world experience published on it and I'd have to pay for a new reg myeslf since the dept sees nothing wrong with the standard one. Your favorite 2nd stage Hog, Dive Rite, Deep 6, Atomic, Scubapro, AL, etc. etc. that you know and trust to flow all the air you can inhale, can be used on the Spectrum. The only question is how the added mask volume will affect your trusty reg's performance. Without any knowledge of reg performance at all, it seems a little more effort might be needed to open it, but it should flow like always once open.

I will be trying out the Spectrum within the next 2 weeks. I will post an update on how it worked out. When I tried it on in the shop it felt very comfortable and light weight. A lot easier to get a seal than my AGA. I will be testing it with my Apeks and Sherwood regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom