Mayair Baggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

penywisexx

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am flying Mayair in a few weeks after the first half of my trip and have a few questions. My wife and I will have 3 bags, and will probably weigh be around 25 pounds over the weight limit. According to the mayair website, this will result in about a $100 baggage fee, more than the cost of a ticket. Will they allow us to book a third ticket for the flight and use that seat as the baggage allowance? My wife doesn't know how to pack light, and our scuba bag itself weighs in at 45 pounds without our regulators and computers. There is no way she could pack a bag for herself at less than 40 pounds for a trip of any duration, let alone two weeks in Mexico and then a week driving halfway across the US and back.

I am flying Mayair in a few weeks after the first half of my trip and have a few questions. My wife and I will have 3 bags, and will probably weigh be around 25 pounds over the weight limit. According to the mayair website, this will result in about a $100 baggage fee, more than the cost of a ticket. Will they allow us to book a third ticket for the flight and use that seat as the baggage allowance? My wife doesn't know how to pack light, and our scuba bag itself weighs in at 45 pounds without our regulators and computers. There is no way she could pack a bag for herself at less than 40 pounds for a trip of any duration, let alone two weeks in Mexico and then a week driving halfway across the US and back.
Mayair from where to where? If it's from Cancun to Cozumel, consider land transportation and the Playa del Carmen to Cozumel ferry. It's cheaper, has no weight limit, and when you factor in the time spent dealing with airports, comparable in transit time.

Mayair from where to where? If it's from Cancun to Cozumel, consider land transportation and the Playa del Carmen to Cozumel ferry. It's cheaper, has no weight limit, and when you factor in the time spent dealing with airports, comparable in transit time.
+1, a pre-arranged van to Playa runs about $50 and will be waiting for you in front of the terminal. Added bonus is they will normally stop at OXXO or 7/11 so you can pick up cerversa.

I alm going from Cancun to Cozumel, the flights are part of a package I had purchased. I already have to be at the airport to return a rental car and have things planned for around lunch time in Cozumel.

I have taken the Mayair flight many times from CZM to CUN, My checked bag is generally between 45 and 50 lbs. I also have taken a backpack as a carry on in which I had regulator, computer, camera gear and dive light plus other odds and ends.Never had an issue with weight.

Good to know, I have two extra tickets that I am not using for the return leg from Cozumel to Cancun. They said that they would give me credit that I can use for up to a year with them. Since I doubt I will be back within a year I may see if they will let me buy a third seat using the credit if I am too overweighted and use that seats baggage allowance. I hit the road Saturday for a drive to Vegas to unload the kids before flying to Mexico so I will know my baggage weights then.

I have tried several times to reach Mayfair on chat but they have been offline today.

I would follow Gordon's advice. Ground transportation is cheaper than their somewhat arbitrary baggage charges. I saw on guy pony up $250 in Cancun. Plus the FBO lobby in Cancun is a very boring place to sit.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Thanks for the advice all, i was actually able to change my car rental drop off to the ferry in playa at no extra charge. The fery tickets will cost less than my baggage fees would have been.

My wife doesn't know how to pack light, There is no way she could pack a bag for herself at less than 40 pounds for a trip of any duration,

There is a school for that. It's called carry/wheel your own bags from the beginning to end of the trip, paying for excess/overweight bags. Mission is usually accomplished after 1 argument sometimes 2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom