Akumal Cenotes and Whale Shark Snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divergirlLinda

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are headed to Playa Del Carmen next week. We are staying at the Hyatt which appears to be near the ferry to Cozumel. I have already dove Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen. This time the cenotes in Akumal are on my list so I would like to know the very best shop and the best cenotes to dive. I am an experienced diver.

Although I have dove with whale sharks I hear they are near Cancun and in big numbers for snorkeling. Any advice about that?

We have a car so can drive to each place but I hear that the dive operators in the area will also transport you to the different places. Anyone think that is a good idea or should we just drive ourselves?

Thanks.

I highly recommend Nicolas from CenoteXperience I have been diving with Nico & his brother Martin for over 7 years. They are great guys and excellent dive guides. Nico's friend does Whale Shark snorkeling tours, so he can help you with that also. Tell Nico that Steve from Canada sent you. Take a look on You Tube to see what cenotes you would be interested in diving. Some of the cenotes are advanced dives, so you won't get taken to them until the dive guide has had a chance to evaluate your skill level.

I am going to be down there in a week and am looking for an affordable operator for a cenote dive with my wife and I. We are on a tight budget but have our own gear and have our own vehicle, i only have four recent dives and only a total of ten since my OW. We got a timeshare deal and bought ourselves scuba equipment for our ten year anniversary, we will spend the following week in Cozumel doing 10 or more dives, but are sticking to doing the Musa, whale shark snorkeling, and hopefully a cenote day. Being on a disabled vet budget sucks, but we are trying to make the most of our first kid free vacation and first diving vacation since we got certified.

Since you have relatively little dive experience, I would strongly suggest that you do your cenote dive after some practice in open water. It would be best if you could do a few shallow reef dives on the mainland (I'm not that familiar with the reefs on the mainland) then go to Cozumel where the dives are deeper and with more current, then zip back across the channel for your cenote dive. I don't know if that's possible for you. At the very least, get in the water and practice some buoyancy control/air management before diving in a cenote.

Two good cenotes to start with are Chac Mool and Dos Ojos. They both have fairly large cavern zones. But all cenotes are overhead diving which is very different than open water. Pick a reputable dive op (several have been recommended) and keep in mind that it's VERY easy to get turned around in cavern diving. With any problem, like an unexpected air loss, gear malfunction, or just silting up the water, your safety margin quickly gets narrowed.

Cenote diving is great fun; that's what got me started cave diving. I hope you enjoy it safely!

A quick comment on the cenotes: they are spectacular, but you'll absolutely have to have your buoyancy dialed in. It is, as Halocline pointed out, an overhead environment which can very quickly become very unforgiving. You cannot afford to hit the floor or ceiling during the dive. As to which cenotes are best, there are some easier (i.e., less dark) ones than the ones mentioned above. Ponderosa/Eden or Casa/Manatee come to mind. Perhaps start with one of these before going to Dos Ojos. And the choice of a reputable dive op is critical. There is a set of rules for guided cenote dives in place that keep them relatively safe, but some operators are playing very loosely with them, and that has resulted in fatalities. All three dive ops mentioned above (CenoteXperience, Protec, UnderTheJungle) are well-regarded and should serve you well. Beware of some fly-by-night ops who might save you a few bucks but may put you at risk, even if you don't realize it at the moment.

Thanks for the tips, we decided to do the Musa Dive and a reef dive in Cancun, and perhaps another day of reef diving if time permits, we then head to Cozumel and will do Advanced Open water and a total of 10 dives in 4 days with ScubaLuis (then perhaps another few dives with another operator as well) we will then hop the ferry back across and do a Cenote dive if we aren't burned by out by then). I know the PADI AOW is kind of pointless but my wife dives hookah for work all the time and they want her to get her rescue diver certification eventually. I know that in that an AOW card won't make me an advanced diver by any means but it will help me become a better diver and having five dives with a top notch dive instructor to help me work on my skills is the smart thing to do.

Here is my summary of my trip. I just returned Sunday. I ended up diving with Abyss Dive Center in Playa Del Carmen. I got a referral from someone I trust who lived there and knew the Canadian owner of this shop. We did 6 dives in 5 different cenotes over 3 days. They have a max of 4 divers. We were lucky so it was just my husband and I all three days. Our guide was Rodrigo. He was excellent. We dove Chikin Ha, Taj Mahal, El Pit, Dos Ojos and Dreamgate (2 dives). All of the cenotes were great but I think my favorites were Taj Mahal and the bat cave in Dos Ojos. Dos Ojos is very popular. Many shops do two dives there but one was enough for us. First of all do the bat cave side as that is really cool. Our guide got us most of the way through the other side as well on the same dive. I would not want to do two dives in this cenote as the second half was just not that great. Chikin Ha was very nice as well. El Pit is deep and was worth checking out but if you've been in the blue hole it is about the same. Dreamgate is a private cenote that our guide chose well. I don't think many shops go there. I saw a few large groups at the popular spots so I would choose a small group operator. Good buoyancy is a must. Photography is tricky as you need a lot of strobe and a wide angle lens. Three days of cenotes were good but were also enough. I can check that off my list. Worth it definitely but not for more than 3 days. I would recommend Abyss but the only down side is that you have to meet them at a meeting place on the beach. They will pick up your gear and will take care of it the entire time you are with them but they can't pick you up (at least not at the Hyatt) as the hotel would not allow them to. We did get dropped off at the hotel, however. If diving the Cenotes stay in Playa Del Carmen or south of there. Akumal looked nice as did Talum but I was happy we were in Playa. We rented a car which I also recommend. The car was only $52 for the week but be advised that you must pay $18 per day for liability insurance regardless of whatever credit card you have or insurance policy you purchase. Your card will cover the car but they require that you have the liability insurance in case you strike a person. Taxis are not cheap there so we found it very worth it. Be aware that booking sites for cars will not inform you about the $18/day. I don't want you to be surprised. The last day of cenote diving we followed our guide down and afterward went on to Coba ruins, Talum, and checked out Akumal. It made sense since we were south anyway.

We wanted to try snorkeling with the whale sharks who are in season near Cancun now so I will share my experience with that. After spending four nights in Playa Del Carmen we drove up to Cancun and stayed at the JW Marriott. All the whale shark operators are up on the north end of Cancun so staying there saved getting up extra early to be transported up there from Playa (which is common). The owner of Abyss Dive Center made all our arrangements. We were picked up from our hotel and driven to a spot were a lot of operators leave from. I never really knew who the company was we were with but they had several boats. The driver of the van said it was Underwater Editions but their website does not work. I don't think it mattered, however, as the prices are all pretty much the same and the boats all look about the same. Speaking of BOATS, there were at least 50 circling around these poor whale sharks. The ride out to the sharks was VERY rough. I am used to rough seas but this was pretty bad and was worse on the way back. There were 12 people on our boat (should not go with any more than that). 5 were puking the entire trip. After 1 1/2 hours we saw what one person thought was an island and my husband thought was a marina. Nope. It was a mass of boats all circling the whale sharks with anxious snorkelers ready to jump in. Only 2 snorkelers can go at a time with a guide so you take turns. Fortunately we got a few turns because the sick people only went once. Yes, it is SPECTACULAR to see these beautiful creatures and we were close. Many times I was right above them or directly in front or next to them. It is a wonderful experience to see these beautiful animals that close. I do have a concern though about how safe this whole thing really is, particularly for the sharks. Several we saw looked like they were most likely struck by props. There are so many boats maneuvering around to pick up and drop off snorkelers it would not surprise me if there are accidents with the sharks or snorkelers. I'm not saying it is not a safe activity I'm just saying that I think the Mexican government should think about regulating the number of boats that are out there. When I say 50 boats I am not exaggerating. I stopped counting at 50. A few tips: wear sunscreen despite the supposed rule against it. Most products are biodegradable today. The burn you can get out there for all those hours can be brutal. Drinking water - the boat supplied it but be aware there is no toilet for the entire time (approximately 6 hours) so we didn't drink it. That, of course, is not a good idea. We stopped at Isla Mujeres on the way back so we were able to walk to shore and get a beer and use the bathroom. Make sure you check the weather as far as the swells. The ride back was even more rough than the way over. The boat would occasionally hit a wave and would slam down so hard it actually shot up my spine to my head. Both of our backs are still sore 3 days later so make sure you are in good enough shape and for goodness sake take sea sick medicine even if you don't think you need it and take it before you go. I have had back surgery and even though I am fully recovered and in good shape I did not enjoy the back pounding we took all the way back (about 1 1/2 hours to the island).
If you have never seen a whale shark then this may be worth it (normally $189-$199) but if you have seen them diving and/or are not in optimal shape you may wish to skip it. Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom