DM said "Don't worry about it".

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok. You missed my point. You teach people to dive to those depths. Would you send a new diver out with faulty equipment on a dive boat and say go ahead. If you would then you are not much of an instructor. When I got my aow everything was checked and double checked. Anything out of the norm and we called the dive due to the fact that depth we were diving.

No I would not send a student out with equipment which I felt was faulty. But there is a difference between used and faulty. I'd have to see the equipment to make a decision. Well worn bcd's can be perfectly functional and look awful. Weight belts can be functional and look awful. I'd make a decision about what was in front of me. If a weight pocket was functional but looked tired then I wouldn't have a problem telling a student that it was fine to dive with.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please note: This forum has special rules. This forum is intended to be a very friendly, "flame free zone" where divers of any skill level may ask questions about basic scuba topics without fear of being accosted. Please show respect and courtesy at all times. Remember that the inquirer is looking for answers that they can understand. This is a learning zone and consequently, any off-topic or overly harsh responses will be removed. This forum is not open for threads offering goods or services.

Some posts have been deleted for having an overly harsh tone. Feel free to post the same helpful information without aggressive or confrontational attitude or leave it to others to provide help to

I had a similar episode with a wet breathing rental... spewing numerous times after the dive... nope never again!
If buying isn't practical, I like your idea of renting locally.

Newbie vacation diver here. We don't take dive vacations, we have been going to places where we take a vacation and a good place to throw in 4 dives or so. I got thinking about our last trip to Belize. First day out we did the touristy thing and book a combo for a snorkel to 'shark ray alley' and a dive at Hol chan.

Integrated bcd's. Cool. New to us. Just before the dive I check the releases and they don't work. Just a piece of thread hanging where I assume pull tabs should be. DM says "Don't worry about it"..ok. I reason it's only 35 ft. Hey, what could go wrong. Dive was fine with a stronger current than expected. No big deal I guess. Guy says we'll have the bcd fixed for tomorrow.

Next day I um.. had a stomach issue due to food or water and couldn't make it. My buddy said they had the same bc set out for me and the releases weren't fixed. This dive was 85 feet. I don't know that I would have been comfortable "not worrying about it".

What would one do in this situation? Practice removing the weights on the boat? Or declining the dive? I won't name the shop as I'm not looking to discredit someone's business, they were nice guys trying to earn a living.

I'm new. I simply don't know. Thanks.

I appreciate you posting this, as this is an important issue. Honestly, I am glad you didn't dive the second day. Incidents can be a cascade of little problems that become unmanageable. Unless a diver has practiced dealing with such problems, I just wouldn't recommend it. Diving is supposed to be fun, and just the stress of wondering if your equipment will work as needed would take away from that. If I were on vacation where I wasn't planning to dive, so I didn't bring my own, but I happened to have a dive opportunity pop up, I'd make sure that through the LPI hose I could inflate/deflate easily and that the BCD didn't leak. If say a shoulder dump valve didn't work, I wouldn't worry about it too much. But I'd stay shallower as a result (to me 100 feet is shallow, your definition may or may not be different).

Now I can understand if you don't want to purchase your own gear if you do not dive enough. At what point would you be willing to invest in some gear? I don't want to take this OT as that is more of a long term thing than what you are asking here.

Now that I think back, there have been equipment issues that got past my due diligence. On AOW, my regulator first stage had a thin leak, but I couldn't see it in shop, or while diving since it was behind my head. I couldn't even hear it between my breathing and the other 11 people bubbling up the water. At the end of the dives, I mentioned that my SAC rate was not what it used to be, and THEN my fellow students told me what they could see. Thus was born my requesting people to feel free to mention anything unusual about my gear right up front!

Now that I think back, there have been equipment issues that got past my due diligence. On AOW, my regulator first stage had a thin leak, but I couldn't see it in shop, or while diving since it was behind my head. I couldn't even hear it between my breathing and the other 11 people bubbling up the water. At the end of the dives, I mentioned that my SAC rate was not what it used to be, and THEN my fellow students told me what they could see. Thus was born my requesting people to feel free to mention anything unusual about my gear right up front!

I wish that inwater buddy checks for air leaks were required to be taught in all open water courses.

I'm not sure if I would have accepted the BC with no weight pockets. Probably would have, because I only use 4 lbs with an AL80, and would have made sure I could get to it from the top of the pocket. That's your call though, you were there. The important thing to know is that whatever decision you make should be respected by the shop. It's a tough spot to be in because you want to dive, and you've already booked your limited vacation time with this shop, so there is already internal pressure to continue. My first trip after certification was to Aruba, two weeks after my OW class. The rental equipment we got was wet breathing, ill fitting, and generally not very well maintained. That was 9 years ago. I took my own equipment on every SCUBA vacation I took up until a month ago. My last vacation wasn't actually a SCUBA vacation, it was just a vacation I was going to squeeze a few dives into. I specifically looked for reviews about the operators equipment, and had a good experience because of it. I'd still take my own gear if it were a SCUBA specific vacation. And a CO tester.

I won't add to the myriad of good responses other than to say of course getting your own equipment is best. I would have refused to use the BC with non-removable weights, and done my best to demand some kind of action, refund or something. If it were in Nova Scotia I would need to remove them anyway as here I use both integrated and belt, but suspenders on the belt--which can be removed, but not easily if in a bad situation.
An opinion you didn't ask for (I hate that...) is--If I dived so infrequently that owning my own stuff was financially stupid, I would not dive at all since I would constantly feel rusty. But that's just me.

@Diving_Parrot, I’d echo what has been said. You were right to wonder, and to post. Thanks. I dove Mexican Rocks and outside the reef; but only snorkeled Hol Chan with family, still a great experience, lots of cool fish.

As I mentioned, I *might* have dove, but I am much more experienced. I also *might not* have, as it is a sign other things might be amiss. You are not as experienced and your training may or may not have been as good as mine. I’m happy you did not face the choice about diving the second day to 85’.

You can alway call a dive, no questions asked. It’s always your comfort with you and the situation that day: sickness, gear, people, or weather. A good buddy at the time might say ‘Thats fine. No problem. Any emergent medical worries you want help with??’. It’s a balance between making sure you’re fine sitting around on the surface, and absolutely not pressuring you to dive.

Asking later is good, but hard. Its always good for the community to wonder. But no one else was you, there.

Second guessing yourself later shows you’re a thinking diver. You checked your gear. You wondered and asked at the time. That is all VERY good. Maybe you might not make the same choice you did again, while still a new diver. I do not fault the choice at the time. A new me wanting to dive might do the same thing.

Diving without ditchable weights is generally advanced in training or experience. Sure, today *if* that BC had my weights dialed in, I could do the dive without ditchable weights. But I would not have liked it. Too much of not liking it for the person diving means calling the dive. I have dialed in weights *and* some are ditchable. That is me, not you, or some other diver.

I think the DM was asking you to abandon the training that, had he been your instructor, he could well have just given you, how to ditch your weights. I fault the DM and the operator that allowed that. Emailing them might be good feedback to them of your concern as a customer with how the dive prep went. I think that concern is justified.

Experienced divers can do more, and still be safe, though sometimes we are just fooling ourselves. I would not advise new divers to tough it out and pretend they are much more experienced or far better trained divers than they are.

Listen to your gut about something being off. Go snorkeling instead, most of the light is shallow anyway... :). Not an excuse for the operator, and it messes with your plans, but sometimes the diving gods are against us, be it weather, illness, or gear. Best to look at the fish some other way or day, they will still be there when you come back. (Edit: If we take care of the reefs!) I'm glad you're out there diving, I hope the rest of the trip was better.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom