Diving near Christchurch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elmo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Work is probably sending me to Christchurch in the next week or two for a month or so. I'll have weekends mostly free. Just wondering what diving would be within reach of Christchurch. I'm GUE Tech 1 and a PADI DM (and a cave diver), and will bring my drysuit if I think diving is likely. Any ideas?

I have lived in Christchurch for the past 2 years and the only place i found to have decent diving near CHCH is Kaikoura which is about 2.5 hours north of Chrsitchurch. There is a dive shop in Kaikoura although not sure if its still open since the big earthquake. Christchurch also has 2 or 3 dive shops

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice Dryglove and Spudlet. It doesn't look like I will be diving in the few weeks I'm in Christchurch - a shame, but I'll cope.

Work is probably sending me to Christchurch in the next week or two for a month or so. I'll have weekends mostly free. Just wondering what diving would be within reach of Christchurch. I'm GUE Tech 1 and a PADI DM (and a cave diver), and will bring my drysuit if I think diving is likely. Any ideas?
Hi elmo theres a few reasonable dives spots around local but mostly cray type dives its winter as you know so not a lot of activity - I usually dive up north about 8 hours drive on a wreck call mikahail lermontov im heading up on or about the 30th of june if you wish to get a ride but too far for a weekend

there a higher altitude lake inland (cold) about 1hour form chch its pretty boring but I go to practice skills or new gear configurations heading up this weekend its very deep though if you want to do that

there a place i.5 hours north of tech called motunau thats got the best cray diving anywhere - catch guaranteed but you need a boat
Pm me if you wish Im happy to help out

Hi elmo theres a few reasonable dives spots around local but mostly cray type dives its winter as you know so not a lot of activity - I usually dive up north about 8 hours drive on a wreck call mikahail lermontov im heading up on or about the 30th of june if you wish to get a ride but too far for a weekend

there a higher altitude lake inland (cold) about 1hour form chch its pretty boring but I go to practice skills or new gear configurations heading up this weekend its very deep though if you want to do that

there a place i.5 hours north of tech called motunau thats got the best cray diving anywhere - catch guaranteed but you need a boat
Pm me if you wish Im happy to help out
Thanks for the info and the offer. I would love to dive the Mikhail Lermontov, but as you say, the 8hr drive is just a bit too far for a weekend. I can feel *cough* the cold coming on already - probably won't be able to make it into the office on Monday.
As for cray dives, they're really not my thing. I'm one of the very unlucky people who've developed an anaphylactic allergy to crustaceans after growing up with them being my favourite food.

Thanks for the info and the offer. I would love to dive the Mikhail Lermontov, but as you say, the 8hr drive is just a bit too far for a weekend. I can feel *cough* the cold coming on already - probably won't be able to make it into the office on Monday.
As for cray dives, they're really not my thing. I'm one of the very unlucky people who've developed an anaphylactic allergy to crustaceans after growing up with them being my favourite food.
I know what you mean i m not a great fan of crays either but its just an excuse for a dive i usually just video everyone else doing it, i have a few contact down south - milford sounds area thats a pretty stunning area feel free to make contact when you get over

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom