Diver killed by fishing boat - Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Diver run over, killed by fishing boat at entrance to Waianae Boat Harbor
A diver was killed this morning at the mouth of the Waianae Boat Harbor after being run over by a 20-foot fishing boat.

The man, described as in his 50s, had a mask and fin and some type of longboard — either a surfboard or paddleboard, said Shayne Enright, spokeswoman for the city’s Department of Emergency Services.

“He was with another person and he was apparently run over by this boat,” Enright said. “They stopped and rendered aid, along with a couple of people from another boat.”

An Ocean Safety lieutenant paddled out and helped bring the man to shore, where he was pronounced dead.

“It happened right at the harbor entrance,” Enright said.

The call came in at 7:20 a.m., Enright said.

Police, firefighters, lifeguards and paramedics all responded.

A mask and fin do not a diver make. I wouldn't think somebody in full scuba gear would be getting around on a long board; anyone know different about their local practices?

Wonder if scuba divers are required to use dive flags there? And what about non-scuba people in the water?

Richard.

They are required in West Maui at least on shore dives. I've seen local police berating and threatening to confiscate dive gear from instructors who ignore the rule. Not sure about the rest of Maui or the other islands. I assume it is a county by county thing.

That early in the morning, depending on where the sun, and how high it is, it can really be hard seeing something that would have an outline like that imho. It's no excuse, but with sun glare, anything's possible.

Sounds like a snorkeler or freediver to me, no mention of oxygen bottles.

Bob

"Oxygen Bottles"
Were you in the media in a past life? Hahahaha. I see what you did there. :)

"Oxygen Bottles"
Were you in the media in a past life? Hahahaha. I see what you did there. :)

I think he was being sarcastic

I think he was being sarcastic

and I think Superlyte27 was being sarcastic :)

A mask and fin do not a diver make.
They don't? In what court? Most of these threads are based on poorly reported news stories. I see no reward in classifying - only trying to learn from the tragedies. Yeah, yeah, some members take joy here in claiming accidents happen to swimmers so the stories don't belong here. Ok fine. I'll keep looking for the lessons to learn whatever the kangaroo courts decide here. Thanks for playing.

Wonder if scuba divers are required to use dive flags there? And what about non-scuba people in the water?

Richard.
I wouldn't know. There are two things I think I do know here...
  1. Any scuba diver, free diver, swimmer, whatever should use diver down flags where boat traffic is possible.
  2. Except, that using them often doesn't seem to help, even attracts idiots, so it's a no win.
I try to improve on my boat dodging skills, i.e. listen closely from a safe depth with surplus air and ascending only when safe. I am at a loss with sailboats tho, and have had close calls with some. Suggestions...??

Freediver, maybe?
That's my guess, and some here argue that such discussions deserve to be here, while some may not. See above statement.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom