Newb - Pls. critique my gear shopping list

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would suggest that good trim and buoyancy takes all the unnecessary effort out of diving.
On a drift dive, you should be able to hang near motionless. It WILL get better if you give it time.
Once you get it then you can decide how much effort is comfortable.
Happy diving!

Totally agree. As I get more experience, I hope I not exerting as much. Definitely need to rethink my decision.

To be clear, it's the technique, not the fin, that causes issues.

Technique can be learned, and the consensus seems to have been for the OP to get some help in that area.

I agree, need more practice there. I rented splits (full foot) during my dive trip to Maldives and was really comfortable in them. My feet definitely didn't feel "heavy" and honestly don't remember cramping either.

For the computer, I'd get a zoop novo over a zoop. The price difference shouldn't be huge, but the potential for evolution on a novo is large, while the zoop will get you stuck pretty fast if you ever consider dives with large-ish decompression stops (many never do, quite a few get there within two years or so).

I would ditch the console.

I don't use splitfins, they don't seem to be a solution to your problem either, from what you describe.

Regs I don't know, only used cressi during OW and never saw them again. Can't tell how much I remember them as it was my backup reg...

BCD, do take the time to try the various types of BCDs you can find (back-inflate, BPW, other brands, ...). I don't see much wrong to it on a first sight compared to other bcds in that style. Although it's not the kind of gear I'm planning to buy to run my few try dives a year.

BCD - I prefer bpw/ back inflate type, no squeezing during the dive

Computer - any wrist size will do but don't like zoop as no backlight, take a look on zoop novo or Cressi Leonardo

Reg - you may want to buy a sealed balanced diaphragm over a piston one

guage - spg> 2guage console if you have a computer

fin - you may want an "easier" fin but not necessarily split

BCD - I prefer bpw/ back inflate type, no squeezing during the dive

I also prefer a wing. But the only way you'd get a squeeze over a dive is if you were grossly overweighted to the max. The only squeeze (if ever) you should ever feel would be at the surface.

As a result of all your feedback I am Now thinking about this setup:

Back Inflation

What say ye, wise ones!

I would reinforce the advice to get trim figured out and then fins will be used less. If you have a pool, you might do free dives in it to work on trim sense. Buy a few pounds of soft weights and hover off the bottom in what you can sense as trim. Then try frog kicks. They are a great kick. A few gentle kick and glides should move you forward. Pool free diving is great scuba practice, plus it increases your comfort. Just don’t get the life guards nervous. Something like this: Buoyancy skills

I do not have split fins, but my read is that they cramp less as they are less effective, thus less work on your feet. If you are injured that is great, not so great if you need to get somewhere. You have fins, I’d work on other stuff for now. There is enough to figure out.

Back inflate: Yes. (I have a PB/W). Just SPG on hose: Yes.
Computer on wrist: Yes. My Hollis DGO3 is ok and has gauge mode, $200 at divegearexpress
Regs: simple one from Apek/ScubaPro or a DeepSix: Yes, or rent if rental are ok.
I got my own BC before my regs as it is the base everything hangs on, but rented good regs.

I'm not sure why people say you don't go anywhere with splits. Maybe against current, but in no current (quarry or doing laps in the pool), I'm an absolute speed demon (so much different than the paddle fins). I'm working on slowing down, LOL. And this includes propelling me in a drysuit (still go fast).

I'm not a wise one on the breadth of gear, but those regs are what people mean by good basic ones from a main brand, diagram are nice for less salt in the works, the SP Mk2 piston first stage might serve you as well, as SP's cheapest but rock solid. I do not know the BC. You may not do the best with a bundle. They tend to be all from the same manufacture. Brands that make the best/most suited X for your needs, do not always make the best/most suited W, Y, Z also needed for a full kit. Most of that console, save the actual SPG is just extra you do not need and are paying for, a small point, but the issue with bundles.

I'm not sure why people say you don't go anywhere with splits. Maybe against current, but in no current (quarry or doing laps in the pool), I'm an absolute speed demon (so much different than the paddle fins). I'm working on slowing down, LOL. And this includes propelling me in a drysuit (still go fast).

I bet you would go even faster, now, if you went back to good blades, now that you've been at it, both diving and swimming laps, for a while. Or, another way of looking at it, I bet you would go just as fast with less effort now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom