Shark Bites Spearo: Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuzzA

Wetwork for Hire
Reaction score
I hate to be critical, but here's my thoughts.

You saw the shark 15 seconds before it bit you. Why don't you have your only line of defense locked and loaded? Why doesn't your buddy? As soon as he started finning frantically you knew he was going to get bit.

Second, why is your buddy swimming away from you and not providing protection?

And finally, why isn't the vessel releasing the anchor line to come get you quickly?
I don't like anchoring at all. It makes no sense and this is a perfect example why we always dive with a live boat.

dangerous job that spearfishing.

Forgot to mention why didn't he drop that fish he had?

Well, the goal should be not to entice a predatory response. Swimming away and finning like hell, did just that. Dropping the fish would surely send the shark into a frenzy and when he's done eating that fish it's likely to be coming back for more.

The "by the book, arm chair quarterbacking" response would be to have or get your gun the moment you saw the shark and then present an aggressive posture toward the shark, swim at it, poking if neccessary and shooting as a last resort. His buddy should do the same.

The shark would likely back off as they don't want to get injured anymore than us.

My experience with sharks while fishing is limited to a few events, but I've found if you present the right posture, they will not invade your space.

Disclaimer: YMMV :)

One thing the video drives home is that some sharks can charge in at high speed. It could be hard to defend yourself even if you're watching the shark. Looks like it bit once and fled the scene.

Richard.

...here's my thoughts.....

All the correct actions you mentioned above are text book right. That whole team needs to get proper training cause everything they did was wrong.

P.S. That's a sandbar not a bull, but they have the same attitudes.

Last edited:
As one of my favorite authors (and fellow gun nut) says, "if you look like food you are going to get eaten".
That works in overall life as well as here.

All the correct actions you mentioned above are text book right. That whole team needs to get proper training cause everything they did was wrong.

P.S. That's a sandbar not a bull, but they have the same attitudes.
Agreed.

I can't tell. lol. A media report said Bull, Someone on Spearboard told me reef shark. I'll take your word for it John, you would know better than most. I had a mod change the title to just, shark. :)

Back
Top Bottom