Night Diving as primary diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess it all depends upon where you stay. At the Divi tanks are left out 24 hours a day out on the dock by the gear lockers. When we start our night dive there is generally 30 or 40ish full tanks available. I have never seen the full tank pile empty.

The Divi tank station in the parking lot is also accessible 24 hours a day.

Same story at buddy dive, though our last night dive in Bonaire ended with a stolen radio and car battery. I would just night dive the house reef to avoid the hassle.

Self guided shore diving works many places. Have you considered cave diving?

You could also dive in my part of Canada. Got dozens of sights where below 15ft is a blackwater dive any time of day.

Go up north, I head they have night sometimes as early as 3pm :D

That vampire LOB might be quite interesting... All of a sudden due to market forces LOB boats double in size with night shift and day shift occupants ... sharing the dive deck / dinghy's in shifts ... hopefully not...

The LOB that does that would have to have at least two shifts for the crew!

When I do day trips up to RI, I will bring three tanks. Two for the day and one night. The real problem is after the last dive is the drive home after 3+ hours in the water. Much more likely to die doing that than the diving. I would love more night dives, but the logistics become brutal on the drive home.

That's an interesting concept.

Everything could be shared as long as there's no schedule overlap, including state rooms and even underwear. Just flip em inside out.

In a Hot-bed live aboard, life was dire
Sharing space, equipment, and attire
Dood got handed a thong,
Said, "This is just wrong!"
Not a "mooning" while "sunning" type buyer.

Last edited:
I'm envisioning a liveaboard where the divers sleep all day, awake in the evening to dive, and go to sleep before the sun comes up. Dracula would love this.

That's exactly what I'm looking for. I would love to wake up around 4 or 5 PM and do an afternoon dive or two, have dinner and dive ALL night! YEAH! There's GOT to be more people like me in this big world. At least for a week, this would be awesome!

I guess it all depends upon where you stay. At the Divi tanks are left out 24 hours a day out on the dock by the gear lockers. When we start our night dive there is generally 30 or 40ish full tanks available. I have never seen the full tank pile empty.

The Divi tank station in the parking lot is also accessible 24 hours a day.

I've been diving in Bonaire and Divi specifically. The only issue (a big one) is finding a dive buddy willing to do more than 1 or 2 night dives. I do solo night diving there because there's a lot to see in the shallows and I know the dive site well, but generally speaking solo+night is not what I want to be doing.

My daughter and I love this idea for fluorescent photography. The brief stress-filled night dive in a current that we did was still AWESOME!
Plus no sunburn!
Here is my ideal; A place with lots of flourescent critters, location and timing low current, top visibility, plus one hired Divemaster per diver, each set going in their own direction so that photographers don't interfere with each other and Divemaster doesn't let obsessed photographer forget about safety and reef non-interference. Sunrise brunch, then sleep until late afternoon.

I think you're on to something here. I really think there is plenty to do night diving wise, and especially photography wise, I can easily fill a whole week of capturing the night critters. If I don't end up finding an outfit to do this with, I might organize my own buddy group - probably in Bonaire. So I will keep you posted. I can be a DM on the trip but not sure how many other DMs would be interested. Hmmm. I really want to make this happen. NIGHT SAFARI WEEK!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom