Brand New Hollis hard to breath

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradMM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just got the 500 SE D7 yesterday and put it on a tank tonight to do my SAC rate. I couldn't breath it very easily and it was vibrating as I inhaled.

Where did you get it? Take it to lds and have them check/adjust it

Bought at dive shop and will call them today. Yes, on land. I was mostly curious if the vibration was a clear indication of something specific because I'm trying to learn more about regs in general.

Thanks

I'm not familiar with that style of reg (servo ?) but it's not uncommon for a second stage diaphragm to "vibrate" out of water dry. I have a few that do and a few that don't. It in itself is not indicative of a problem. Breathing off a reg on land is not the best way to assess its performance. I'd take it for an actual dive first, I suspect you may be pleasantly suprised.

Last edited:
Thanks, just what I was looking for.

Is the vibration on inhale or exhale?

Exhale is fairly common as the exhaust valve does not has any water on its back side to dampen that movement. Inhale is unusual but it may be something about that servo valve. If the problem is on inhale, I would talk to the shop.

I'm not familiar with that style of reg (servo ?) but it's not uncommon for a second stage diaphragm to "vibrate" out of water dry. I have a few that do and a few that don't. It in itself is not indicative of a problem. Breathing off a reg on land is not the best way to assess its performance. I'd take it for an actual dive first, I suspect you may be pleasantly suprised.
what he said

Is the vibration on inhale or exhale?

Exhale is fairly common as the exhaust valve does not has any water on its back side to dampen that movement. Inhale is unusual but it may be something about that servo valve. If the problem is on inhale, I would talk to the shop.
the inhale and exhale diaphragm are unusual in that design and both on the end of the reg. Vibration on both inhale and exhale out of the wa wa would not worry me much.

Generally the reg will breath much better in water, different feel than most regs but still fine..in water

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom