Will CCGCR disappoint diver familiar with LCBR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbs

Contributor
Reaction score
Subject pretty much says it all... Just back from Bonaire and work sucks and I am thinking about the next trip in December :wink: We have been to LCBR several times and were thinking about checking out CCGCR. I understand that it has not been renovated since the takeover, but exactly how "rustic" can we expect it to be compared to LCBR? Also we have been to LCBR in Nov/Dec and had great luck with the weather getting out to Bloody Bay Wall. Is the risk of getting blown out greater at CCGCR? Boats from docks and/or shore diving at that time of the year?
Thanks!!!

I have been to LCBR twice and to CCGCR twice. Of course, my visits to Cobalt Coast were prior to the buyout. I did the AI at Cobalt Coast both times and the food was as good or better than LCBR. We always had a car on Grand Cayman and had dinner at alternative restaurants a few nights. There's obviously more to do on Grand Cayman. We had an ocean view 1 bedroom at CC, it was just fine. We had an ocean view at LCBR, it was fine too, no better. So, you get 3 boat dives a day on LC with a some possible night dives, no shore diving. You get 2 boat dives at CC with the possibility for unlimited shore dives. This works out well when the conditions allow, not so well when they do not. Of course you can always pay extra and do shore diving at Lighthouse Point or Turtle Reef. We did some afternoon 2 tank boat dives with an alternative operator. We got out on the North wall both visits to CC, sometimes from the on site dock, sometimes from an alternative. I don't think December may be the best time of year to get out on the North wall.

Not to throw a wrench into your machine, but have you considered doing Grand Cayman East end? My favorite in the Caymans is Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers. Four to five boat dives per day. All units with full kitchen, breakfast included, restaurant on site and several in the vicinity. Fairly remote from the action, but depends on what you want or need.

In December, you are unlikely to be able to shore dive at Cobalt because of wind/waves. The dive boats will probably not be able to tie up at the dock either. You will not be blown out as there is always a leeward side and if the north is too rough, the west side of the island is still very good diving. The rooms are a bit dated compare to LCBR, but still more than adequate. Pool area just OK, no beach. The place is isolated and far from from Georgetown and 7 mile beach. Have not stayed there since takeover so cannot comment on food.

When we were there, we ended up shore diving and night diving at Turtle Reef, which is excellent.

You might think about Brac Reef Beach Resort as well.
Our family preferences, in order would be LCBR, BRBR, Cobalt.

Thanks for that Doc! Was trying to see if we could skip the additional flight for lcbr or brbr... Otherwise LC would be our top choice as well. So what are the logistics when the boats can't dock? Shuttle to a marina? How long? This is making me rethink options...

Thanks Scubadada! I assume the east end is a better choice for early December? I have never driven on the "wrong" side of the road and am a little concerned on that...

Thanks Scubadada! I assume the east end is a better choice for early December? I have never driven on the "wrong" side of the road and am a little concerned on that...

I have never stayed at CCGCR but we visited and dived with them one day last October and it seemed like a nice place and a good dive op but we haven't eaten there. The winds and the waves were high up there that day and there wasn't any shore diving. We had to take the van to the marina to dive the West Side. We talked to some folks that were staying at the resort and they were disappointed because they hadn't been able to dive the North Wall or shore dive at the resort all week because of the weather. But bad weather can hit you anywhere at any time.

There is good diving on the West Side but if you are used to Bloody Bay Wall then you may be disappointed, the North Wall and East End are our favorites areas to dive on GC and we enjoy some of the snorkeling and shore dives on the west side. The CCGCR is well positioned to dive the North Wall as long as the weather cooperates.

If you stay at CCGCR I still think you need a car, the resort is located far off the beaten path and there is a lot to see and do on GC.

If you are stay on the East End at Compass Point, you will need a car but the local driving will be pretty easy because you will be far away from the more popular areas - but you will have to drive through those busier areas to get there and back. I am not a big fan of driving on the left and negotiating the roundabouts, but my husband actually enjoys it! You'll get used to it and we have found it helpful to bring a GPS and car charger with us to help us navigate. Plan to arrive during the day or afternoon because you don't want your first time driving on the left to be at night in the dark.

Sunset House is south of George Town and they have an onsite dive op and shore diving and breakfast is included but you will have to eat out for other meals - and that can get pricey. But you are close to the restaurants and shops and can take cabs or the bus and there are many fine restaurants on GC. Sunset House mostly dives the West Side and it isn't in the same class as LC in my opinion.

If you want to go back to Cayman but would like to try something new then I also suggest the CBBR. It was recently renovated and has a gorgeous pool and the food is better than LCBR in my opinion. It is very similar to LCBR and the island is also undeveloped and rural like LC. The diving is very good and you can take a jet to and from CB if you would rather not deal with the twin otter planes.

And if you can add a few days to your trip, why not spend a little time on GC before heading over to one of the sister islands? That's what we like to do!

One advantage Ocean Frontiers has is that they can dive the North, East, or South side, depending on the conditions. On a trip in early September, we dived mostly in the North, in late November, it was mostly in the South. They have many sites to choose from.

I don't find driving on the left difficult, I have to pay attention to my turns for the first few days.

One advantage Ocean Frontiers has is that they can dive the North, East, or South side, depending on the conditions. On a trip in early September, we dived mostly in the North, in late November, it was mostly in the South. They have many sites to choose from.

I don't find driving on the left difficult, I have to pay attention to my turns for the first few days.
upload_2017-5-31_8-23-58.png

December you can pretty much forget the North Wall unless you get an unusual period of calm weather (Generally October through to May its blown out due to the prevailing wind).
Shore diving conditions can be rough there so hit and miss but there are other sites down the west which will be sheltered during that time. As for boat docks, if they can't use the CC dock they'll go from West Bay dock (10 mins drive) or if rare and the weather allows a dock open to the north side (10-5 mins). Id guess if its horrendous they'll go south like other dive ops have to do a few times a year (35-40 mins).

December is right in the middle of bad weather/wind time of year for Grand Cayman. You may get a period of calm but often you wont which is why everyone dives on the western sites that time of year (which are sheltered from the prevailing NE wind).

Thanks all! Certainly sounds like CC is not the best option for December... I would love to give CB a go, but every time I think about it I just come to the conclusion I may as well go to LC if I'm already going to do another flight (not bothered by the otters at all...). Question on Compass Point, seems like a pretty tight schedule between morning and afternoon dives. Is there typically enough time to head back to the room, grab a sandwich and catch the afternoon boat?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom