Affordable Travel Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Lab recently reviewed the Tusa Hyflex Switch as "testers choice" among the current crop of fins. They feature blades that detach from the foot pocket, and will take up as little as 16" in length for travel. I haven't tried them, and they might not qualify as "affordable". Maybe someone on the board has already checked them out?

I am more than happy with my Scubapro Twin Jets, so I don't want to be spending a lot for a travel fin, the scuba lab tests is what drew me to the scubapro go, unfortunately it also drew everyone else to them as well it seems. I like the sub $80 price range range too and I would like to stick there. Right now it looks like the oceanic accel are the best canidate. I will keep watching this for more recommendations though!

I second full foot fins for travel fins. They're super light, inexpensive, and do not lack in thrust. I use to use the shorter "travel" fins that can fit in carry on size luggage but find they kind of lack in thrust in currents other wise work just fine.

I second full foot fins for travel fins. They're super light, inexpensive, and do not lack in thrust. I use to use the shorter "travel" fins that can fit in carry on size luggage but find they kind of lack in thrust in currents other wise work just fine.

Full foot are OK except for Bonaire and any other place that has shore diving. Unless you have nail hardened soles, get boots and open heeled fins.

Deep 6 Eddy Fin. Capable of any of the kicks, light, comfortable foot pocket, and only $100.

Last edited:
I switched to Accel's and love them. They can fit in my carry-on, they are tough, neutrally buoyant (I'm leg heavy), and the straps are as easy as spring straps to use. They can push me quite a bit faster than I need/want to go but I stay out of moderate/heavy current.

Force fins pack very small and light. I love mine.
FF Original are my favorite travel fins too. My XL pair are 16" long and weigh 3 1/2 lbs. Plenty of power and the nylon heel strap makes them simple and fast to remove in the water for boarding a boat.

Full foot are OK except for Bonaire and any other place that has shore diving. Unless you have nail hardened soles, get boots and open heeled fins.
True, but since the OP already owns open heel fins and wants to buy a 2nd pair for travel to Cancun and Cozumel, I think a full foot fin is a good choice.

True, but since the OP already owns open heel fins and wants to buy a 2nd pair for travel to Cancun and Cozumel, I think a full foot fin is a good choice.

Since the OP slready has boots, open-heel is a much better choice. This is about weight in his bag; This way he can go anywhere with his new fins, not just Coz and Cancun. (In Cancun, you should wear sandals anyway).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom